• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

icy covered decks

Randy88

What tricks do you guys use to keep from sliding off icy and snow covered decks with steel tracks, I've heard of using rubber belting and tires before and I have used both but what does everyone else use when you can't get the trailer inside to dry them off or melt it off.

mitch504

Being a South Carolinian, the only time I ever tried to load on an icy deck,...I just fell off.

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
Salt works good little hard on trailer but not as bad as sliding off. Rubber mat when cold gets a little slick too.

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
We just throw sand on our deck, but then again we only get in about 6 or 7 transports per winter.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
sand and salt mix. bring clean shorts and load only on perfectly level ground. Think about it you are riding on 100 ice skates all pointed in the same direction. if your trailer is wide enough install batter boards on the outer edges or down the center if it is not wide enough.

Good luck

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I've had some issues with steel and wood decks, I used a few pounds of black beauty, really has a lot of tooth to it.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have slid off more than once.I use salted sand when I can get it,park in the sun when you can and always pick your spots to load and unload.Sand and salt is your friend,even parking the rig after a run can get you stuck as the heat from the tires melt a pocket under them then it freezes and you are stuck.If you have nothing to push with the sand can get you going.Ron G

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Keep your trailer cleaned off as much as possible...some people don't believe how a shoveld off pad, trailer, etc will melt off in a bitter cold day(sun needs to be out). Barn lime, sand, salt etc is bout all you can do for things to toss on it. Don't be afraid to use a few extra chains and binders on your load.

Trbo

Tiny

Winter is a mess at times, salt ,ice melt.Even running a trailer in the shop to melt off .Track heaters.have tried everything.Under cover is best , Have used a tarp too

partimer

Shovel snow off the deck as soon as possible so the sun can work on the floor throughout the day. An old tarp could be thrown over the floor before a frosty or snowy night. Use a couple of rubber strap just in case the wind comes up. A propane weed torch does a good job of thawing off a frosty or icy floor. We use a 100 gal tank strapped to a hand truck with a 25ft hose. Some mornings we might have 10 or 15 trailers waiting for the torch. That can make for a long winter. And remember a few singed timbers just adds character.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Some mornings we might have 10 or 15 trailers waiting for the torch. That can make for a long winter. And remember a few singed timbers just adds character.

Wow, I'd think for that kind of production, if you had some 110v ac power, one of the Reddy kerosene heaters and a sheet metal elbow to direct it straight down would do a quick job of defrosting stuff, sounds like it makes for some sporty mornings.

partimer

Wow, I'd think for that kind of production, if you had some 110v ac power, one of the Reddy kerosene heaters and a sheet metal elbow to direct it straight down would do a quick job of defrosting stuff, sounds like it makes for some sporty mornings.

fast st

Not a bad idea but might be a little difficult to move around. We have 1 torch at the shop and 3 at the plant we load at. Power at the plant is available, just not in the right locations. Some of the guy's come in early to beat the line, so it's not so bad. We keep getting snow and cold like we are right now and most of the contractors will stop digging. Next week may be about the end of our season. That will end the lineup problem.

Colorado Digger

i use a few concrete blankets, works pretty well. keep trailer clean. etc. sometimes we chain on to the front of the trailer and pull ourselves on.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Ahh, the heater I use for outside defrosting has two rubber tires and weighs only about 110 pounds with a half load of fuel. Its great at thawing equipment outside so you don't have slush falling in your face while welding underneath something as well as preheating the shop to 110 prior to painting on a cool day, have also used it as a preheat/postheat for welding.

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
Equipment moves in the winter

Hi
The best set up I have seen is a spare multi plate culvert that you can back under! It keeps the snow off. We use Ice melt and like the song says (chain chain chain) Aretha Franklin – Chain Of Fools

Randy88

We also carry a pail of ashes out of our wood furnace and toss some of those on just before loading and unlaoding after driving in a cold wet rain or if it sits outside loaded over night to help with traction on a frosty deck, we have even dumped ashes on the tracks and it sticks long enough to make a revolution or two and thats enough to either load or unload, not as gritty as sand but it absorbs the moisture really well, we spread it on the yard when its icy and the gravel is glare ice and we are out of sand, for dumping on duals to help prevent spinning it works better than sand.

nedly05

I remember one time when I loaded the 70 onto a frosty deck. I didnt think much of it until I started to chain it down and I was able to hitch the machine while tightening with a ratchet binder. I am a lot more careful now! Usually salted sand and tires for me.

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
if you do it a lot the universal answer was spare clean shorts in the cab! ashes & sand!