• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Iceroad Construction at 35 below 0

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
In the quest to find more oil we once again are building the iceroad to Badami. The project runs 24 hours a day, 2-12hr shifts, one operator climbs out of the machine during fueling and servicing while another climbs in. Once the road and drill pad are finished a drill rig will be mobed in to start the exploration drilling.
So I want to thank you for filling your tank because everytime you do you help provide me with a job. ;) Next time you fill up and swipe that card you can stop and think just what it takes to fill that tank. :confused: Keep driving and we will continue the quest to find more oil!
Regards, Randy

Attachments

• Badami Iceroad week1 & 2 002 (Small).jpg
    Badami Iceroad week1 & 2 002 (Small).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,311
  • Badami Iceroad week1 & 2 004 (Small).jpg
    Badami Iceroad week1 & 2 004 (Small).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,366
  • Badami Iceroad week1 & 2 005 (Small).jpg
    Badami Iceroad week1 & 2 005 (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,298
  • Badami Iceroad week1 & 2 010 (Small).jpg
    Badami Iceroad week1 & 2 010 (Small).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,339

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
is Tom still up there buddy, stay warm and safe, Don't miss it a Bit!

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Randy, I swiped my card for 115 bucks this afternoon. To bad it was only for 30 gallons of fuel insted of 115 like it should be!
DRILL BABY DRILL!

Zed

Ok just did some quick conversions from litres to Gallons to compare prices.
In Australia the price for fuel is approx $6.80 per gal.
In Borneo its $2.27 per gal.
And all i got to drive around in when I go back home for a holiday in March is a dirty big V8, my wallet is hurting already!!!
In oz where fuel is expensive we all love driving big engine cars... over here fuel is cheap they all ride 100cc scooters? Go figure.
I need to sell my car a buy a pushbike I think! (it might help getting rid of my beer belly...)

alco

I filled up today, and fuel where I am right now is $4.99 a gallon.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Quit complaining. At home right now we're paying $8.63/gallon ........ so the same 30 gallons of unleaded would have cost you a hair short of $260.

BTW, Nice pics Randy.

I'm not complaining one bit, just stating a fact. There is absolutley no reason that here in the States or Canada that we should be paying more than a buck a gallon for fuel of any kind. With the amount of reserves that both countries have on hand, it's assinine. The enviromental nutjobs that have infilltraited every acpect of goubment have F'ed up any chance of there ever being cheap fuel ever again.

And I don't wanna a hear a single word about G.W. and blood for oil and all that b.s. Our current administration hasn't done squat to help ease the pain at the pump. It's actually gotten worse in the last 3 years.

I know in Canada fuel has always run about a buck more than it is here in the U.S. The first time I ever went up there I thought I was getting a smoking deal. Untill I realized it was in liters and not gallons.

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Fun Stuff

is Tom still up there buddy, stay warm and safe, Don't miss it a Bit!
Tvan; Tom is with us on this project and he’s having a good time. He’s been running one of the ejector trucks most of the time and filling in more and more on the blade. He’s on Day shift and I’m on nights so I don’t see him unless we are stuck in camp due to a blow. He said you will have to spend all summer thawing him out after this! I got to come home for just 3 days and return on Tuesday. We crossed the Shaviovik River last night and only have about 4 miles left to tie into Badami’s Pad. Then we have to go back near the Shav. River and build three more miles of road and a new 500 x 500ft drill pad right on the edge of the Arctic Ocean, then move the rig in.
Here's a picture of Jeff W loading snow on the Shaviovik River and one reminder of why I enjoy driving a 52,000lbs motor grader across the ice! Watching that ice crack under the machine! Fun Stuff
Regards, Randy

Attachments

• Badami Iceroad week3 004 (Small).jpg
    Badami Iceroad week3 004 (Small).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,711
  • Badami Iceroad week3 005 (Small).jpg
    Badami Iceroad week3 005 (Small).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,726

Tvan

Occupation
Supervision now Days
Good stuff Buddy, tell everyone Hey for me, Stay Safe!!

grandpa

Randy... in the one photo of the lift cylinder on your blade,,, do I see a non-stock grease fitting on the pivot bearing cap? Grampa

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Thanks for the nice compliments.

BigBob: Yes that is the 14H that just got rebuilt and repainted. It runs like new!

Grandpa: On that 14H I installed zerk fitting on the caps, lift cylinder mounting shafts and the moldboard tip pins. The lift cylinder mounting yoke shafts were turned down then built back up with a Nickel Alloy mix, then turned back down and polished to produce only .004 inch clearance between the bearings and shaft. To help prevent any binding in the yokes I installed the zerk fitting and to help keep moisture out since this grader gets barged around the state of Alaska quit regularly. If there’s any binding or torsional load on the shaft it causing the automatic blade controls to go nuts when trying to make small corrections when under heavy load. It’s really important that the yokes swing freely side to side to prevent any over shoot problems.
Regards, Randy

grandpa

Thanks for the nice compliments.

BigBob: Yes that is the 14H that just got rebuilt and repainted. It runs like new!

Grandpa: On that 14H I installed zerk fitting on the caps, lift cylinder mounting shafts and the moldboard tip pins. The lift cylinder mounting yoke shafts were turned down then built back up with a Nickel Alloy mix, then turned back down and polished to produce only .004 inch clearance between the bearings and shaft. To help prevent any binding in the yokes I installed the zerk fitting and to help keep moisture out since this grader gets barged around the state of Alaska quit regularly. If there’s any binding or torsional load on the shaft it causing the automatic blade controls to go nuts when trying to make small corrections when under heavy load. It’s really important that the yokes swing freely side to side to prevent any over shoot problems.
Regards, Randy

The only reason I noticed it as I have done the same to mine... thought you had taken the picture out of my grader.... thanks for the follow up Randy.

lgammon

now someone will have to help me. if it is ice wouldn't you just plow a road out and leave the windrow on the sides? what are you all hauling snow around for. this is from a Tennessee boy just tryin to learn

BDFT

I would guess they are using the snow somewhere else. Building ramps off the ice, filing holes etc. At those temperatures snow can be used almost like dirt.