• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

i think our 943 is possesed

lgammon

ok we have a first generation 943 cat loader. it has served us well for a long time but is is haveing some problems that i would like to ask you guys about, hopfully some one here has already been here. when you get on the machine in the morning and start running it is fine but when you shut down the machine or even idle it down, when you go to idle it back up and run it one track sticks and it strains and then kind of jumps and starts working. while you are working after this the same track will seem to loose power and not want to move. now this is a problem that comes and goes some times you can go all day with out a problem but some days it does it almost out of the gate. it makes it really hard to go in a straight line you have to keep feathering the foot lever all day to keep it tracking stright. it kind of scares dad because no one we know has had this problem and the hydrstats are so expencive to repair. does any one know anything about these machines and this type of problem? i really want to keep this machine i like the size and cat no longer makes this size machine. it is just so handy around small lots.

thanks for all you advice in advance

9420pullpan

well first i would check fluid, see hows it looks, whens the last time you changed filter.

so what your saying is the machine will not track straight. this could mean a few things. HPCU (Hydraulic Power Control Unit) your transmission. this transmission is all mechanical with many adjustments within it.

i could find my old service manuals and look for some info.

9420pullpan

another possible thing is the final drives, pull the plug check for metal shavings. maybe use a magnet and get in the and see what you find. i found all my notes on the HPCU so i can help you some what there
but definately check the final drive first.

lgammon

when it first started this we pulled it in and checked/ changed the hydrostate fluid. we put in a test filter that is supposed to get even the smallest stuff. we found nothing. we then jacked the cab and took the valve cover looking plate off the top of the hydrostat and were told that some of those lines would start to leak so we pulled them off and put new orings on them and tightened all of them. we havn't looked at the final drives yet, seems odd if somthing was broked in there that it would only do it after you get it hot and shut the machine down. but we will take a look this week. thanks for you help

9420pullpan

yea no problem, and it only happens on one side and if so sitting in the seat which side....
let me know about the final drives also check tension

they may seem like simple things but it will eliminate them

Last edited:

lgammon

well i can tell you by the pain in my right knee it is the left side, you have to slow the right side to get the left to go

lgammon

i think the meter is reading around 7800 but it is an 81-82 model. i think i remember the cat guy telling us it was the first or second year they were made. it had 2000 when we bought it 10 years ago so i think the meter has been replaced with a motor at some point, in reallity i would say 10,000-12,000 range

Walt 66A

Occupation
HE mechanic
You could also have a brake problem. The brakes are on the final, and are spring applied, hyd pressure released. 973's had a problem with the lines leaking on the brake (steel lines). The fix was to upgrade them to rubber hoses. If the brake is leaking, it could put the oil in the frame, where you wouldn't see a leak.