• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I picked up the chain

Cam85

Hey guys this one is prob 4 scrub.I just got back from Roma,have been on the chain 4 a couple of weeks (a novelty it's been a while).
Whilst dragging the dam thing I had a little accident that I can't explain am hoping someone can help.
This is what happened a standard turn, I was in perfect line with the chain I backed up.a perfect straddle I backed up further than normal because I wanted some extra chain to lay out for my next move.
I backed up aprox 5 tractor lengths stopped started moving ford and turned left and somehow my inside track picked up the the spare there was no tension it was a perfect turn wtf.
The chain that was out behind me was now up between my running board and grouser upon closer inspection I found that the link had wedged between 2 trousers.my saving grace was that I stopped b4 I bound up the drive and I had plenty of slack no final drive damage thank god.
It's brand new d8t.
It picked p on the inside of the track and had dragged up the chain I had laied out between the tyrannie and the track ant the chain that was behind me up over the drive.
It was easy to get out but what went wrong it makes no sence can some one tell me what went wrong I must have done that turn a million times with no problem please help.

Also can anyone show me how 2 do a boyang.

Thanks in advance.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Cam85. Mate, chit happens and what can happen is a piece of timber can get jammed under the belly guard and push slack chain to where you wouldn't think it be.

As you probably realise (and I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs here) there should never be any turning with a track on the chain . . . and I always like to cross a single chain.

That is to say on a 90 degree turn both tractors drop the blade at the corner and push a bit of a track out into the pulled country until the scrub in the chain is about the same width you are pulling.

Both then rattle back straddling as you describe, cross the chain a couple of tractor lengths back continue on and you can even do a pivot turn with a locked track and go straight forward until clear of the chain underneath you. If you have backed up on the outside of the loop (which I think is best) just line up and cross the second chain pretty square.

It sounds from your description you may have given her a kick to left with your foot still on the double chain. You can get away with it most times but as I mentioned if the chain has been bunched up by a bit of timber or whatever it can be unpredictable.

I always tried to have good chain (no shackles) for fifty feet behind each tractor . . . not always possible but it makes it safer if you can.

There have been some disasters with "chain ups" over the years and almost invariably with D8's and 21's resulted a short time later with a clapped out final drive . . . you did well to stop with out the chain binding. On more than one occasion I have had to remove track plates or resort to oxy to get the bugger out.

By boyang do you mean the emergency chain join when you run out of shackles?

If so depends on the chain. One end link has to fit through another . . . most long link is okay some of the short link was no go. With stud link you need to bash the stud out. A fit young bloke on a twelve pound hammer generally works although we carried Oxy on the Nines. Once you get the stud out just poke the link through and then drop the broken link in to lock it . . . its ugly but it works.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Cam85

Thanks scrub yes I was crossing double chain I was having a hard day due to the bloke on the outside never having done it b4 I believe what ur saying to b true looks like it only a mater or time till the chain bit me crossing it in such a fashion.
Thank for the advice.
In relation 2 the boyang yes emergency chain repair was what I meant I was out of shackles and pulled on the wrong coolibar tree and wanted to put a link through a link but could not get the stud out I found several loose ones and bashed n bashed n bashed but no joy I was thinking there must b a trick or way to use the machine to get this out.

Cam85

As an after thought for those reading this b careful backing across the chain u never know when it's gunna come up over the front of the track and this can b disaster if ur not quick enough to stop!.