• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I need teeth like this.....

cgraham1

anybody know where to find them? Thanks!!

Attachments

• shank 1.jpg
    shank 1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,607
  • tooth 1.jpg
    tooth 1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,662
  • tooth2-1.jpg
    tooth2-1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,610

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
They look like Esco Helilok teeth - now obsolete I was told. I have them on my 18" H&H bucket for my 310C.

I did go to my local Deere dealer about 3 years ago, and I ordered a set for my machine. The parts lady said her inventory showed that there were few left in the system, and she wanted to know if I wanted more. At $17 a copy, I said no thanks, I'll change the shanks too the next time to match my other 23 series buckets.

I think I still have the take-offs in the scrap pile if you are in dire need.

Komatsu 150

I have them on my 150. In my size just the locks are $20.00 each and the teeth run about $65.00 from the Komatsu dealer. I've bought them from other dealers, sometimes cheaper, sometimes not.

Last edited:

cgraham1

They look like Esco Helilok teeth - now obsolete I was told. I have them on my 18" H&H bucket for my 310C.

I did go to my local Deere dealer about 3 years ago, and I ordered a set for my machine. The parts lady said her inventory showed that there were few left in the system, and she wanted to know if I wanted more. At $17 a copy, I said no thanks, I'll change the shanks too the next time to match my other 23 series buckets.

I think I still have the take-offs in the scrap pile if you are in dire need.

One of the teeth has Esco stamped on it..... but the only ones I've been able to find look like they need a u-shaped clip to hold them on, and I'm not sure if they'll work with the shanks on my bucket (my teeth just have little tabs that get bent in to hold them on.) I bought the bucket with a tooth missing thinking that it would be easy to find a replacement tooth....I need to use this bucket, so I either need to find a tooth soon, or run it without a tooth on that shank! I found some Esco Helilok teeth on eBay (4 teeth for $89 + $8 each for the clips), but I'd hate to spend the money on something that just won't work with the shanks already on my bucket...... and I only need 1 tooth!

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Are you sure they don't use a keeper like this? We've switched almost all of our buckets over to these Esco shanks. I think I have one 18" and a 30" bucket that we havn't switched so far. We dig a lot of rock with the backhoes, and I got tired of replacing broken shanks for the 23 series teeth. I don't know if they changed the material the 23 shanks are made of, or what. But it seems that they wear down a lot faster than they used to, and break right thru the pin hole. It's been a little over 2 years since we switched to the Esco's, havn't broke a shank yet, and the teeth still fit tight on the shanks. I've noticed the Esco teeth wear a lot longer also. We but the Esco stuff from our Komatsu dealer. I think the last time I bought teeth, they were about $17 a piece. Little bit higher than the 23 series teeth from Case, but when you figure they last about twice as long, not a bad deal. I don't remember what the keeper pins cost, havn't had any of them were out yet.

Attachments

• shop 016.jpg
    shop 016.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,478
  • shop 014.jpg
    shop 014.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,500

cgraham1

Are you sure they don't use a keeper like this?

Do you have any pics of the ESCO shanks, without teeth? I'd like to compare it with the ones on my bucket to see if that type of tooth would fit my shanks.

I got this bucket for a good deal, it was an old PG&E bucket...... I really don't want to swap the shanks! Thanks!

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
Go searching for "Esco 17" style teeth. I think that is what you have - nothing as large as that pictured above.

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
Yes - they only have the two tabs, and they don't get bent in as they are forged I think - no adjustment needed.

According to Esco, and I have the sheet, you need a special tool to install them with a twist and hit at the same time.

Me, I got the 12 lb sledge instead, safety glasses and ear muffs too, and they went on with one mighty blow each. No tabs to bend in, as they are form fitted and will align if you whack it hard enough.

However, if your shank is a worn as it looks to be, the shank probably needs to be changed as it won't hold a tooth for long. I have one like that, and I poured the rod to the new tooth just to be sure - hasn't moved :D That's the reason I'll be converting shanks the next time.

cgraham1

However, if your shank is a worn as it looks to be, the shank probably needs to be changed as it won't hold a tooth for long. I have one like that, and I poured the rod to the new tooth just to be sure - hasn't moved :D That's the reason I'll be converting shanks the next time.
After removing one of the other teeth and comparing the shanks, it looks like they probably ran that one without a tooth for a while.:eek:
The one I pulled off has nice square edges, the other one is all rounded off and probably won't hold a tooth any more?

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
That's what I was referring to, and that's why I had to weld on that one tooth. I lost a tooth, and finished the day on the shank. It was in sand, but it still took enough edge off the tooth shank that the new tooth would not hold. 7018 to the rescue, but I now either build up the tooth where it is on the bucket, or reshank it.

Like I said above, pretty sure I have my teeth yet if you need one tooth to slip on and weld in place. Take a pic with the tooth in your hand or on a tape measure so we can guage its size better.

cgraham1

Here's a couple more pics.... After cleaning up this tooth I can see 17TL stamped on the side. I did a search, but couldn't find anything....

Thanks for the info Deere John. PM me, I think I'd like to get 1 tooth from you to get me by until I can replace the shanks.....

Attachments

• newtooth.jpg
    newtooth.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,293
  • newtooth2.jpg
    newtooth2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,302

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
handtpipeline those are scary lookin. Frost teeth work good Im sure those work great! One prob for me haha, got to be extra careful diggin round pipe with them daggers, haha.

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
I was at my shop today, and picked up one of the teeth. It is the same as yours - does not say 17 on it, but it is.

Please PM me your address, and I'll box it up to send to the sunny south. I'm going to the US this weekend, and will mail it from Pennsylvania.

Komatsu 150

17tl is the reference number for an Esco "Twist Lock" tooth and should be available from any Esco dealer. It's a little different than the "Helilock"

cgraham1

I was at my shop today, and picked up one of the teeth. It is the same as yours - does not say 17 on it, but it is.

Please PM me your address, and I'll box it up to send to the sunny south. I'm going to the US this weekend, and will mail it from Pennsylvania.
I just received the tooth a few days ago.... I'd all but forgotten about it until I opened up the box. Damn USPS.... 8 months to deliver a tiny box with 1 backhoe tooth in it! No wonder nobody sends anything through the post office anymore!:D

Thanks, I really appreciate you going out of your way to help me out!

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
That's both funny and pathetic at the same time. You're welcome - I hope it is still of use to you.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
HOLY COW it was sent in APRIL and just now arrived!!! O_O was it like one of those pieces of luggage that has a stamp on it from every major city in the world? What a story.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Hmm I sent a package to a member here last Saturday and and It arrived yesterday and that was intercontinental type posting....