• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I need Exp. will work for free!!! Central CA

basspro

Hey folks. I am currently on the waiting list for the apprenticeship acad. for the local 3, & am looking to get some seat time in what ever I can get my hands/ butt on. I don't care if am I just moving equip. around the yard, I just need some seat time. I am 33yr/old Married, with a 5 month old. I currently work at Best Buy (senior Car Audio Installer) in the Stockton store, so I have 1 or 2 days a week I can play. Any1 need a hand, want a hand, wanna make fun of someone trying to learn.

Hell any1 have any Ideas. I have called just about everywhere, & have been hung up on, laughed at, & told I need exp. ......well how can I get some if no one will give me a chance.

I am a pretty decent wrench, can wire pretty much anything (MECP Advanced Cert. failed the Master by 5 points), can stick a bead (mostly Wire feed exp.), am very good with a chain saw. I am not a dill rod who wants to come in & trash your equipment for fun, I am really trying to change careers, & need some help.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmz

Hey folks. I am currently on the waiting list for the apprenticeship acad. for the local 3, & am looking to get some seat time in what ever I can get my hands/ butt on. I don't care if am I just moving equip. around the yard, I just need some seat time. I am 33yr/old Married, with a 5 month old. I currently work at Best Buy (senior Car Audio Installer) in the Stockton store, so I have 1 or 2 days a week I can play. Any1 need a hand, want a hand, wanna make fun of someone trying to learn.

Hell any1 have any Ideas. I have called just about everywhere, & have been hung up on, laughed at, & told I need exp. ......well how can I get some if no one will give me a chance.

I am a pretty decent wrench, can wire pretty much anything (MECP Advanced Cert. failed the Master by 5 points), can stick a bead (mostly Wire feed exp.), am very good with a chain saw. I am not a dill rod who wants to come in & trash your equipment for fun, I am really trying to change careers, & need some help.

grab a shovel and maybe in time someone will give you a chance in the seat.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Just hang in there there will be something come along.Got any family that works construction? My B\brothers helped me get started that was a long time ago.

Usually you have to start on junk if equipment(spare,backup machine) or go the handwork thing.Mine was on junk,i was ready to quit every night,but my brothers keep telling me it would get better.I said but when??

It did the old junk thing, i was running (scraper) it finally shot craps,stepped up to a little better junker, then finally one of the other operators quit i got his machine it was not new ,but like second heavon compared to the other two.

Then it was just down to learning not fighting with junk all day wearing you out,and not learning because you was so busy fighting the machine.

Any way you might have to start out diggin a ditch, might be hand or it might be machine:beatsme

I started two young guys out,that was two years ago( can you wait that long) as labors,behind my trenchers.Now they are operating equipment,trenchers ,CTL skid,mini excavators, to be dozers operators soon hopfully???

They did't get to run equiment around here until i thought they was ready,since the two year span.I'm picky, and if you can't handle doing it right(or at least my way) then it is the highway.Honestly you have to really mess up before it is the highway,BUT got to put that in there!!!!

Like i said hang in there,hopefully you have family in the business.Not so much working for them in there busi,but for the company they work for just with your family.Reasons for that ,but i'm sure you can figure that one out:):usa

basspro

I wish I had Family. I have 2 freinds that operate. One got me a lead for a blacktop company, but they ONLY wanted me to run tranfers (have my Class A CDL permit). The other told me to go pimp myself out...wich hasn't panned out yet. I found some steel recyclers that I am trying to get a hold of...just to get something going while I am on the waiting list....& hopefully get me out of Best Buy.

139er

Occupation
Operating Engineer
You sound like you know how to do things, that's always a good start. Maybe you could try and get in with a landscaper or ? Most guys don't have the liberty of calling a family member in order to pick-up on a decent job, they just have to be persistent. Good luck to you.

9Axle

Occupation
heavy haul driver 9axle
hey bass pro u mite try Richie brothers auction in dunnigan ca.ether day before or morning of sale u can get a job driving equipment across the auction block its usually 10 to 12 hrs for the day if its a 2 day sale u double your money.it pays $100 a day. no experience needed.next sale march 4-5,ill check and make sure and let u know that's how are pilot drivers get their experience.best thing its CASH in hand:scool

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
The only advice I can give is while you wait, try to get work as a laborer for a company that has equipment. You can really learn a lot about the work that way. If you can't get a job as a laborer maybe a truck driver. Anything getting a job around equipment just to get some experience.