• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I have a Doosan P185 that cranks but can't start

Brianr3989

I have P185 with a JD motor it cranks and tries to start but can't. I have checked fuel shut off and replace fuel pump. I checked all fuses and all good. Can anyone help me find out what else to check?

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
New issue while running, or has it been sitting a while and now not starting? 4024 pumps and injectors stick/crap out with bad fuel sitting in them.

Brianr3989

New issue while running, or has it been sitting a while and now not starting? 4024 pumps and injectors stick/crap out with bad fuel sitting in them.
It was running then stop and they tried to restart it till the battery's died. Then parked it in the yard. so i couldn't get any codes or anything

Brianr3989

I have check fuel replace fuel filters and the housing. check all fuses. Also I but in a inline fuel pump to see and still the same.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Is this a mechanical engine with pump/line & nozzle or electronic fuel injection? If it's got a rotary pump, I'd crack a line loose and see if you're getting delivery. If no fuel present at injector, I'd tie the fuel shut-off lever in the open position to physical end of travel. Do not trust the shut-off solenoid. Is it a 2 wire or 3?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Is this a mechanical engine with pump/line & nozzle or electronic fuel injection?
Mechanical injection. Under the valve cover unit pumps with their own injectors (which are not sold separately).

You said the fuel shutoff solenoid has voltage and is working, but does the fuel shutoff solenoid continue to have voltage while cranking?

Is there any smoke out the exhaust when cranking?

Brianr3989

Mechanical injection. Under the valve cover unit pumps with their own injectors (which are not sold separately).

You said the fuel shutoff solenoid has voltage and is working, but does the fuel shutoff solenoid continue to have voltage while cranking?

Is there any smoke out the exhaust when cranking?
I get black smoke out of the exhaust when cranking

Tyler d4c

Boss has a skidloader that the rack sticks on it have to keep trying it will eventually start. The odd think is when it gets bad and you change the oil it gets better.
The little cover with one bolt you take off and see if it is stuck

Los07

What is the voltage at the fuel shutdown and what’s the last 3 of the serial number of the p185

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
You said it shut down on its own and would not restart or did someone shut it down and it would not restart?

Is the air end putting an unnecessary load on the engine? Will it start with the air valve open? Has fuel supply pressure been checked? Return check valve been replaced?

Last edited: