• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I have a confession....

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Digger just don't get out there too early in the morning, Erie isn't that far from Central NY! I like to sleep in a bit since I retired back in April:D

Does look like a fun toy.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Run them both and sit back. If you ever replace cable on blade,do a diagram. So few around and if you an not remember direction you will curse.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

digger doug.Tad of an oil leak on that nearside OB bearing may bear checking if she is going to be doing any work . . . there is a pretty fancy bearing in there and it could be an issue in those old girls.

Cheers.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Yair . . .

digger doug.Tad of an oil leak on that nearside OB bearing may bear checking if she is going to be doing any work . . . there is a pretty fancy bearing in there and it could be an issue in those old girls.

Cheers.

Thank you, yes, it sat in a specially constructed pole barn (which I helped build) for around 10 years.
I see that leak is fresh, will check rear gear levels shortly, as well as transmission.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Gotcha digger doug.

She will have gear oil in the two speed but the converter uses diesel fuel from the tank . . . you can get addicted to the sound and smell of the Jimmy and the fumes and tang of hot converter diesel in the morning. (big grin)

Cheers.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Yair . . .

Cheers.

Got a manual off of e-bay. (operators but does cover all the lubrtication)

and it says nothing about it, looked for a drain plug around there, nothing.

You got me worried, I want to get in some run time this weekend, I note the
right hand side is dry.

Is there a little reservoir in the rear sprocket hub ?
The right hand being dry worries me it may be all gone as well
as the wet left side being down.

Or is it somehow all part of the final drive sumps (left and right are separate)

Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

digger doug. From memory the outboard bearings are lubed by the final drive oil . . . any persistent leakage generally indicates a developing problem, or as it has been standing it's probably the seal.

Work it for an hour or so and see if both sides are running about the same temp by feel.

Cheers.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Yair . . .

digger doug. From memory the outboard bearings are lubed by the final drive oil . . . any persistent leakage generally indicates a developing problem, or as it has been standing it's probably the seal.

Work it for an hour or so and see if both sides are running about the same temp by feel.

Cheers.

Thanks, will clean and remove level plug on both final drives (very easy to get at) right under the winches.

So they must of drilled the rear sprocket shaft to allow final drive oil a way
to get out to that outboard bearing ?

As it has been sitting inside a barn for at least 10 years, I figured a seal is a bit dry.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
They area cool old crawler but parts are made of unobtainium! Sense my hearing went to heck I don't much care for them old Detroit's.

Rick