• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I have a 2001 cat in Calif

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Sell it out of state? Move?

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Find a broker. Equipment trader, Ritchie Bro’s, etc.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
So do you do work for hire or just your own property? I have no idea about the carb rules in CA. does someone actually inspect your machine.

david ellison

So do you do work for hire or just your own property? I have no idea about the carb rules in CA. does someone actually inspect your machine.
Howdy
From what I understand the new rules that go into effect 12-31-18 limit ALL diesel engines pre 2016 including fleet trucks, generators, tractors, contractor equipment
I am mostly retired doing a little outside tractor work. From what I can tell someone on a ranch way out in the boonies might get away with running it, but if it's being moved on a highway without the " red sticker " it is a huge fine. Costs about 10-15k to put the specific compliance filter on.
It's putting a lot of small contractors out of business in Calif. I will have to get it to an auction house even though I haven't put 50 hrs a year on it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
THAT seems alittle ridiculous.. WHO can afford such a thing??
I think you better get some clarification on that.. Its like saying> ALL left handed people are now required BY LAW to use their right hand.. makes no sense..
But then again> its California>> the land of fruits & nuts.. Lol

wrc

That stinks for all your ca folks, however think I'm going to start watching west coast auction sites for the next 12 months give or take. I'm in the market for a 160 class excavator and it sounds as if there may be some good deals headed out.

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
Wow that's going to kI'll every small contracting buisness. Deffinetly a good time to start watching the auction sites.

Labparamour

Sadly Cali is tightening emissions.
I got an ‘82 Ford L7000 w CAT 3208 at auction several years ago- listed as must be sold out of state. Was being used by local gov’t under limited “less the 500mi/yr” exemption.
Current co I drive for has non- compliant semis so can’t run into the state.

Darryl

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If you have a big enough fleet you can grandfather in a few machines but the hours are very limited. It is based on a small percentage of total if I got it right. A large contractor friend in the bay area recently took a pristine, fairly new Peterbilt lowboy tractor and stretched it to make a water truck out of it. He is allowed only a few miles a year. My next door neighbor has been flying out and piggy backing 3 to 4 trucks from CA to a Minnesota dealer, about a trip a week for two years now. My 1971 KW was parked in CA when I bought it because they could not use it any more. It took a couple of more years for the equipment to phase in completely. And there is enough "environuts" out there that you will be turned in if you try to sneak around the laws.

EDIT: These laws are not new. They have been around for some years with different implementation dates. Most of the equipment was changed out over the last few years. The other thing the state did was offer huge tax breaks for corporations that documented destruction of noncomplying equipment. They destroyed thousands of pieces of good older equipment in favor of new problem prone crap.

AzIron

its been good for the used market here especially with trucks most used iron i see coming from calif is a little older higher hours but in the last 2 months we have noticed lower houred equipment for sale the prices are not that different tho cause there is more work than equipment and people to do it

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Time to say hell with the state and do business as well live elsewhere. They cannot ship their state developed products as cannot get transport then they may reconsider but knowing how moronic they are probably not. That and I am aware there are people that fought the wildfires with older HE that does not qualify today they will be hard pressed to get replacement contractors for.

There are constitutionality hearings ongoing with this, CARB has ignored several Federal courts rulings which may come to a head this year.

david ellison

THAT seems alittle ridiculous.. WHO can afford such a thing??
I think you better get some clarification on that.. Its like saying> ALL left handed people are now required BY LAW to use their right hand.. makes no sense..
But then again> its California>> the land of fruits & nuts.. Lol
My wife and I want out of calif REAL bad, timing isn't quite right
Fruits and nuts for sure

david ellison

Time to say hell with the state and do business as well live elsewhere. They cannot ship their state developed products as cannot get transport then they may reconsider but knowing how moronic they are probably not. That and I am aware there are people that fought the wildfires with older HE that does not qualify today they will be hard pressed to get replacement contractors for.

There are constitutionality hearings ongoing with this, CARB has ignored several Federal courts rulings which may come to a head this year.
CARB isn't the only calif agency that's ignoring fed law. This one party state has lost it's mind
Now they are trying to pass a law that fines restaurant servers who deliver a straw to a table without it being specifically requested, yikes

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
yeah I heard about that one a few weeks ago also the fruits and nuts I heard are trying to get banned all combustible engines in California by 2024 I know their making uber and lyft drivers all have green cars or you cant drive for them here

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Good for them, guess I will have to start eating more FL and TX produce as one can only imagine what the rules will do to production costs. The State legislators have no real clue or connectivity to reality, it will be their own demise.