• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I hate thieves !

grandpa

We as citizen's allow this to happen..... we should be more stern with our law's and beat the s^&* out of our judges. Cut a finger off when caught stealing.. that'd slow some of em down.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
We as citizen's allow this to happen..... we should be more stern with our law's and beat the s^&* out of our judges. Cut a finger off when caught stealing.. that'd slow some of em down.

Well grandpa that is why the thieves are so bold.The Judges and a few citizens feel sorry for them.Every time I read the news I get MAD.The petty criminals get more punishment than big time thieves etc.I say first time for some crimes a little jail time even for miners second time the big house.If this Country did like some other country's we might be better off.A lot of them when found guilty you get instant death are body parts handed to you in a bag.

Bossfoss

Occupation
Fence Contractor
I think it would great if the people that have stolen things from me in the past were sentenced to work for me until the amount they stole was worked off. I would work them so hard they wouldn't want to steal from me again:D bring back chain gangs too, make prison miserable enough they don't want to come back.

Jdigger4130

That totally sucks man! Litterbugs and thieves are the first to have really uncomfortable afterlives! My homie ownes A big building that methy losers poached like 8 dollars worth of copper from the AC unit and busted the HVAC which caused pigeons to start nesting in... 50000 dollars later after having to replace the entire sys (medical building) we are still wondering why we cant just kill em!

nitro

Occupation
gc
got all my manholes and storm grates swiped and the piece of 2 inch water main sticking out of the dirt on my last site . i tried to bribe the cops with donuts but he already had powdered suger all over his face from the last "emergency"

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
A mechanic came by the landfill Friday to work on my D5. He said one of the loggers they work for some times had all his fuel caps stolen, battery cables batteries and broke in all the cabs and the radiator off the old pullout truck.

A friend of mine had the radiator stolen off his combine last night, and the copper pluming out of his shed.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
This weekend our mini got hit. Someone loosened the oil filter so when it was started, oil came running out. Luckily a groundman noticed it. They also cut the wires controlling the thumb valve, cut the leads off the temp sensor, took out the dipstick and threw it somewhere, and shut off the fuel at the water separator. Doubtful it was teenagers.

mr.follin

I live next door to you almost.....there are a lot of meth heads around alcorn, tishimingo, and tippah counties. I've lived in mississippi all my life but only the last year in North MS.....law enforcement up here is terrible.

this was a reply to post #12

Last edited:

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Must have been "big mothers" for all that in one pass.
Might not have wanted to catch up with them in the act.
Just saying

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Saw a sign on a salvage yard in south MS once.
It said in LARGE fonts: "Owner on premisses 2 nights a week with 12 guage and 00 buckshot.
Pick your night and take your chances. Have ID for the next of kin."
Man never lost a bolt.....

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
At work we had a problem with thieves cutting wholes in our storage halls and stealing all kinds of stuff.
Worst was when they put the bottom plug into one of our ferry boats.
Rainwater filled the whole boat and drowned engine, elctrics, you name it.
One of my coworkes mixed a Jerry can with gasoline and 20% battery acid.
It was gone after a couple of days...
Problem solved!
Rumors say there is a couple of motorbikes with engine problems around...

Kobe130

Occupation
Economist, power company
Problem solved!

Now that is slick - I'm going to remember that for possible future use myself. Wonder if they siphoned any of the gas? Haw, haw. :cool2

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Geez, in the US you can't put enough doughnuts in a 50-yard trailer to get it fingerprinted, forget DNA unless it's a capital case.

I would laugh if it wasn't so true Mitch.:(

Problem solved!
Rumors say there is a couple of motorbikes with engine problems around...

There is a little justice in this world.:cool2

mitch504

I had 2 5-gallon gasoline cans stolen a while back, and I REALLY hope the thief didn't realize they were filled w/ kerosene until he poured them in his car.

JHESL

What I cant figure out is why, in this day and age, even with all the expensive electronics that the newer machines come with, not one of the heavy equipment manufacturers offer unique keys for the engine compartment and cab entry locks??? Not even as an option??? WTH? These are very expensive machines and on top of having to contend with theives, there is the added worry (at least for me) that a would be "competitor" or some random pr!ck comes along and sabotages my machine! Not that I think any lock is thief- or vandal-proof, but it should at least slow the typical oppurtunistic bum down enough till the alarm goes off and I show up with a 12 gauge... I'm just saying...

Komatsu 150

It's not like trucks that start the day in a yard, A lot of machines are left on the job. It's a hard thing to change, nobody wants to deal with all the different keys on a job site. The lowboy driver would have to find the guys with the keys etc., etc. I actually changed our old case skid steer to an automotive style key switch so it would have a special key. Our customers thought they they could just go and use it whenever they had a need. It just irked me they would never ask. "No point in calling you out when it's just a little thing" and paying me of course. When the digitals started I thought the age of the common key had changed but not so much. Most every one uses some obvious code anyone could guess. The Bobcat dealer we rent from was writing the code on the back windows with permanent marker! Real security there. Dad bought a new crawler loader in 1964 and even then a lot machines didn't even HAVE keys. It did have a somewhat hidden battery switch and that was a big novelty.

What I cant figure out is why, in this day and age, even with all the expensive electronics that the newer machines come with, not one of the heavy equipment manufacturers offer unique keys for the engine compartment and cab entry locks??? Not even as an option??? WTH? These are very expensive machines and on top of having to contend with theives, there is the added worry (at least for me) that a would be "competitor" or some random pr!ck comes along and sabotages my machine! Not that I think any lock is thief- or vandal-proof, but it should at least slow the typical oppurtunistic bum down enough till the alarm goes off and I show up with a 12 gauge... I'm just saying...

JHESL

True. But I'm betting that if the heavy equipment manufacturers started offering special keyed locks as an option, or if someone in the aftermarket offered replacement keyed locks for our machines, it would become pretty popular thing overnight.

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
We grow up thinking the law is there when we need them, that went right out the window for me the first time I called them for help. That's when it hit me I'm all alone with protecting my stuff and my life.

I'm all for very nicely hidden surveillance cameras all over the place. You'll be very surprised to find out you can use one of them hunting cameras seen for sale at Cabela's, they attach to a tree in order to see what wild life walks through the area, so why not hook up a few around the area if you need to keep your machine out someplace if you don't have a building to set up surveillance.

I often wonder why police don't want to chase down a thief, may it that family member that's gone bad, worried it might be them..?

Don't you think if you have your machine parked for the night 7 miles deep in the woods on a dirt road and you get your batteries & fuel stolen its someone that you know, or that knows you very well. Very few thief's around that rob from strangers is my opinion...