• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I blew up my Detroit

Bluox

Are you sure it’s a 4-53?, looks like a 4-71 to me, but my 70yr old eyes could be wrong, worked on lots of Detroit’s 4-53, it’s the front of engine that,s different
And we have a winner!
And the air box covers.
Bob

Reactions: DB2

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One easy thing to check is how the Valve Cover is held on. 4-71 will have two large knobs up on the top at the center line of the cover unless it's a newer engine with the cast covers then in place of the large knobs it will have two bolts almost always with 12 point heads on them, thinking a 3/8 wrench fits them.

Where a 4-53 will have three small screws or bolts at the outside flange of the cover either 3/8 or 1/4 inch, been many years since I worked on one!

Made a correction as I found some pictures, I originally wrote that the 4-53 would have two screws on each side but it should be three. I'll attach some pictures to show each:4-53.jpg
Top picture shows the red arrows pointing to the holes for 4-53 valve cover hold downs 4-71.jpg
The bottom shows the two large "knobs" for the 4-71. Now if it was a newer cast v.c. there would be 12 point bolts where those knobs a in the picture. If needed I could post a picture of that too!

Last edited:

mountainguyed67

What little bit I can see looks the same as my engine. Go to my thread, there are plenty of pictures you can use to compare. Plus you’ll get a feel for what was being said about the block may be the same, but different things are bolted to it.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Yes just seen your pictures. Definitely a 4-71. 53's have horizontal air box covers. The water pump on 53's runs off the front pulley.It sits above engine oil cooler. A 4-53 Blower runs off of a drive coupling attached to the rear gear train with a 6 inch or so shaft turning the blower through a flex coupling. This 71 has Dry Fit Liners not wet liners like on 53's. 71 Oil pump is inside pan whereas on 53's it is bolted to front of block on dowel pins. Makis Diesel in Thunder Bay Ontario has tons of experience on these if they are still around.
Simon C

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Late model 53's also had aluminum valve covers with 12 Point head capscrews going into head. They were excellent for not leaking. They were usually found with crosshead pistons and turbos. Did quite a few of them.
Simon c

56wrench

Well, i missed that:D. Have been around and worked on both engines and missed the shape of the air box covers. Apparently my memory is failing- just like my wife says:eek:. I hate it when she's right lol. I'll just have to look more closely next time although i'm still wondering about a liner issue

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
I have it out, Tomorrow will have a look inside. Drained out engine oil and there was 4 gallon of antifreeze in there, not good

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • 65635118141__CDB8241C-908B-4E62-B197-E11DBB40DDCB.JPG
    65635118141__CDB8241C-908B-4E62-B197-E11DBB40DDCB.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 54

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
Ha! well mine is only 15 minutes away, and I think my progress will slow down now as I am afraid I will have a mess inside this engine.

mountainguyed67

Was the engine partially under the cab? How much? Because my engine was so much under the cab I didn’t try to remove it without pulling the radiator and hard nose, I see you left your hard nose on. I can’t tell if you removed the radiator.

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
I was lucky I got it out leaving the rad intact. Also I have a driveshaft fron engine to transmission so that helped a lot.
I remember we had a 7220 Terex loader and the torque converter was driven by a ring gear ,we had to replace it, so we had to do everything you did removing the old 471. it was not so bad 35 years ago with helping hands .

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have it out, Tomorrow will have a look inside. Drained out engine oil and there was 4 gallon of antifreeze in there, not good
It's been years since I've been inside a Detroit, but IIRC correctly, the 53 series had dry liner bores in the block, but the 71 series had wet liners bores at the bottom of the bore, requires an o-ring seal to keep coolant in the water jacket of the block, o-ring failure will allow coolant into the oil pan, fairly common failure of an aged 71 series.