• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyundai-Cummins blowby issue

Oldboy

Occupation
Farming and machinery sales
We just acquired a very tidy, 5,900 hour 2007 year Hyundai HL760-7 wheel loader
It is fitted with a Cummins QSB5.9C engine.
The engine starts and runs well, plenty of power and no excess exhaust smoke.
But blowby, never seen anything like it. (venting pipe comes from the side of the block, above crankshaft and exits under the engine)
Puffs pretty hard on idle but actually pumps out a spray of oil when you rev it up.
It looks like the previous owners have tried to remedy it, new rocker cover ( assume valve clearence set) and looks like injector pump overhaul.
Some major compression getting into the crankcase by the look of it.

I guess we start with a compression check, but it looks like it may need a rebuild.
It is inconsistent that a worn out engine runs so smoothly and appears to have full power.
Any other ideas to diagnose this issue would be much appreciated.
cheers Michael.
PS it has spent its life in a concrete batching plant, lots of fine particles, could have been dusted I suppose.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I guess the first thing I would do would be to pop off the valve covers and see what your oil return looks like. Well you have those valve covers off I would so go ahead and adjust the valves. I believe the qsb engine uses fuel control to Monitor and adjust boost but if your turbo charger has a wastegate make sure that it is not stuck. And while you're there it would not hurt to pull the intake boots off the turbocharger and look at the condition of the impeller blades.
Good luck Happy Hunting

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I have PERSONALLY SEEN so many of those engines "dusted" from concrete plant use..
The turbos are usually seized or the impellers are ground down to nuthin..
& the oil rings on the pistons are usually the first to go..
Lost several customers over the exact same scenario.. THEY just couldn't understand the need to change air filters.. "weekly"..
THEY felt it was Cummins duty to install proper air cleaning systems.??
WE ate the 1st one & toldm to shove the 2nd one.. 2 engines in 1 year.!!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If’n I was a betting man I would say #6 cylinder is TOAST. Probably 2-3 others as well with a couple that are ok. I’ve seen a bunch of the little Cummins with dusted cylinders that ran great but had horrible blowby. Some you couldn’t hardly hold the filler cap if you removed while running. It could be dusted but on the automotive side of that particular engine I’ve also see cooling issues hurt #6 as well as less than satisfactory injectors used in a repair which washes cylinders down and smokes them just as bad as dusting.

I don’t know if the industrial application of that motor uses sleeves or not. Automotive doesn’t so it’s bore and sleeve to stay standard or if a overbore cleans it up then oversize pistons. Reman is also an option.

Oldboy

Occupation
Hello to you all and thanks very much for your suggestions here regarding the Cummins. I will follow up on your suggestions and report back when we know whats going on. Cheers Michael.

Oldboy

Occupation
Well we have solved the problem, and it was quite inexpensive. The turbocharger shaft was worn, the seal was kaput and exhaust gas was blowing down the oil tube straight into the sump. New turbo fitted and its like a 6,000 hour engine should be. thanks to all for your input, and Birken you nailed it ! great forum, much appreciated.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
YUP.. the turbo is the 1st to go.. just watch that air filter..
Whoever is in-charge of maintenance, have them take it & tap it on the ground every other FRIDAY..
Just remember, no warranty on a dusted turbo..