• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyster winch knowledge / help

ChrisUK

Hello all, are there any on here who can give me a rough run down on the various models of Hyster winch’s from back in the day ?
Started looking for one for my D73T but have run into various different models / types / specs.
I see there is a D7D, D7N, D6C, D9, D89A etc etc.
Then there is the question of which would suit direct drive rather than torque converter / powershift types ?
It’s certainly a minefield.
Any help / advice welcome,
Cheers, Chris

ChrisUK

Thankyou @Old Magnet, that's a great help.
Would you know of any sources of literature / specs online that I could view ?
Chris.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hello all, are there any on here who can give me a rough run down on the various models of Hyster winch’s from back in the day ?
Started looking for one for my D73T but have run into various different models / types / specs.
I see there is a D7D, D7N, D6C, D9, D89A etc etc.
Then there is the question of which would suit direct drive rather than torque converter / powershift types ?
It’s certainly a minefield.
Any help / advice welcome,
Cheers, Chris
The D7D is a good winch , simple enough . Mine has an automatic brake function that fits on where the standard brake drum goes , little bit of magic . If you choose to fit a D7D don't ever ever touch the free spool . That was a bit of madness on the part of Hyster big mess of lose wire on the drum guaranteed . There is a collar that is retained by a spring wire on the end of the drive shaft , that spring wire needs to be in good repair as they can fail leading to the collar moving along the winch drive shaft . Friend of mine was using a D82U roller crushing and had the problem happen more than once . It is usual to remove the winch and replace the spring wire , well he got sick of that and placed a spot of weld on both the dozer PTO and the winch shafts stopping the collar wandering . Other winch's may have the same spring wire . The drive shaft spins all the time and it pays to check the two bearings in the winch .