• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyster H35FT no spark

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
Hi everyone, iam trying to diagnose a no start issue on a forklift that belongs to my neighbor, it's a 2011 Hyster H35FT propane forklift with a 4cyl. Mazda FE 2.0L engine, the machine was running fine when parked the previous night, the next morning the guys try to start it and it will crank but will not start, the propane tank is full so i checked for fuel restriction and the filter near the EPR was clogged and the housing full of brownish dirt, i vacuumed it all off and blew the filter with compressed air from a distance as not to damage the element and i put it back, now i have propane flow to the carburator, so i started checking for spark and there was no spark to the spark plugs, so i looked at the fuses and they were all intact, then i checked the power to the distributor ( pick up without cap and rotor inside) and there's 12V power coming in, then i checked the power to the coil packs and there's no power to them at all, i thought maybe the timing belt is broken or have slipped and it's not rotating the distributor so i took the timing cover off but the belt is not loose or anything with no wear signs and the timing is spot on, the machine does have an error code which is: 522593-12, besides what the code could mean the only thing i could think of is maybe the distributor/ pickup is faulty or maybe the computer decided to shut the power down to the coil packs due to a failed security check at startup because prior to the machine not starting it was operating fine and with full power, no hesitation or anything, iam wondering if anyone had a similar issue or knows what the code means, also how can i check if the epr ( Electronic Pressure Regulator) is dead.
I did check the engine oil, coolant and the hydraulic fluid and they're all fine, and the air element was not clogged as well.
The machine is a 2011 Hyster H35FT with around 4,500 hours on it and the Serial No is: F001V040
Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Newguy

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
Hi again, i just realized i wrote the serial number missing a chunk, the full serial number for this machine is : F001V04074K, i also did some further testing and found the little 2 wire plug on the shutoff valve has power with the ignition at the ON position, but the power flashes few times and then disappears when iam cranking the engine, i also found no power to the 5 wire plug which connects to the EPR with the ignition turned On or while cranking, i mistakenly called the 2 wire solenoid next to the filter housing EPR in my main post, i apologize for the confusion.

Last edited:

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Hi again, i just realized i wrote the serial number missing a chunk, the full serial number for this machine is : F001V04074K, i also did some further testing and found the little 2 wire plug on the shutoff valve has power with the ignition at the ON position, but the power flashes few times and then disappears when iam cranking the engine, i also found no power to the 5 wire plug which connects to the EPR with the ignition turned On or while cranking, i mistakenly called the 2 wire solenoid next to the filter housing EPR in my main post, i apologize for the confusion.
DTC 522593-12 EPR COMMUNICATION LOSS.
What is your email address. I can email you the trouble shooting manual for this forklift .I will walk you through the steps and shows you wiring diagrams .

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
Hi tool_king, it's ZWANTEK aat hawt mayl doot coom, hope the website will allow it this way :) thank you very much for your reply.

Newguy

Occupation
shipping-machinery
Hey tool_king, thank you very much but i already found the manuals, my neighbor had 2 machines down so i had to try to speed things up and was able to locate the issue, i took a good look at the schematics and started testing for the code possible causes and found no broken / shorted circuits at the beginning, after that all i could think of is possibly something really wrong with the ecu or epr, i had already looked at the ground connection mainly one that connects the harness to the machine's frame below the battery but i thought let me take it off clean and put it back, there was a good amount of dirt and some rust underneath it, so i cleaned it and put it back and the engine started then died in few seconds before i had a chance to do anything! i checked for power at the epr and coils and there was none, so i looked at the schematics again and decided that the Ignition switch must be faulty because the diagrams showed the power comes directly from the ignition switch which energizes the two circuits and they're both energized by a single relay which is a 4 pin marked "RUN/FUEL" (i tried to upload a photo of the PDM and the faulty relay but i kept getting errors), which i didn't have a reason to suspect because i already did try swapping all the relays around when i started working on the machine, so now before i took the steering column apart to test the ignition switch i thought let me swap the relays around again and BOOM, it started ! :) so i shut the engine off and removed the relays one by one and looked at them carefully and there was one with some damage on it's plastic cover which i don't know how i missed !.. well, i pushed all the relays back and made sure to put the one with damage in the RUN/FUEL position.. and the machine didn't start, swapped it again with another one and it's now running like a top! i think my neighbor is very happy to know he's not gonna pay a ton of money for the EPR or the ECU which cost upwards or CAD $1000 each, i thought i'd share it with you, thanks again.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Hey tool_king, thank you very much but i already found the manuals, my neighbor had 2 machines down so i had to try to speed things up and was able to locate the issue, i took a good look at the schematics and started testing for the code possible causes and found no broken / shorted circuits at the beginning, after that all i could think of is possibly something really wrong with the ecu or epr, i had already looked at the ground connection mainly one that connects the harness to the machine's frame below the battery but i thought let me take it off clean and put it back, there was a good amount of dirt and some rust underneath it, so i cleaned it and put it back and the engine started then died in few seconds before i had a chance to do anything! i checked for power at the epr and coils and there was none, so i looked at the schematics again and decided that the Ignition switch must be faulty because the diagrams showed the power comes directly from the ignition switch which energizes the two circuits and they're both energized by a single relay which is a 4 pin marked "RUN/FUEL" (i tried to upload a photo of the PDM and the faulty relay but i kept getting errors), which i didn't have a reason to suspect because i already did try swapping all the relays around when i started working on the machine, so now before i took the steering column apart to test the ignition switch i thought let me swap the relays around again and BOOM, it started ! :) so i shut the engine off and removed the relays one by one and looked at them carefully and there was one with some damage on it's plastic cover which i don't know how i missed !.. well, i pushed all the relays back and made sure to put the one with damage in the RUN/FUEL position.. and the machine didn't start, swapped it again with another one and it's now running like a top! i think my neighbor is very happy to know he's not gonna pay a ton of money for the EPR or the ECU which cost upwards or CAD $1000 each, i thought i'd share it with you, thanks again.
Awesome you got it up and running .