• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydrostatic transmission valve question

ejuan

Hy guys. Maybe someone with experience in hydraulics can help me undestand this matter. We've experienced some troubles with steering valves, mainly leaks around the steering valve shaft. We have installed generic shaft seals (when oem is not available), but after installing the seal steering becomes really heavy. After troubleshooting it for a long time we noticed that the generic shaft seals came "preloaded" with an oring inside it. We decided to take it apart and istall the shaft seal without the oring. Guess what...., problem solved. It has happened twice, once with a euclid hauler, and once with a forklift. And even better, the steering valve is not leaking no more. For me, it is weird and makes no sense that a simple oring can make the steering wheel heavy, given the amount of pressure the pump supplies.

Could someone who has expirience with hydraulics tell me why this happens? Should I use only "no oring preloaded" seals in steering valve shaft?

Thanks for your help

Juan