• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic tail equipment trailers

materthegreater

I'm not sure what the proper term is, when an equipment trailer has a tail that can be raised and lowered to serve as a ramp. They do not seem to be very common (likely due to cost), but the idea seems good. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Old Doug

I am not alot of help but i built one on my gooseneck trailer years ago that was 6 feet long i think. It was to much behind the axles i should have moved them back but i cut it in half and welded 3 feet solid to the trailer. There is a guy here that builds trailer with a hyd tail they look handy but i also wonder how much weight they will hold up when there flat. I have a tilte bed trailer i would hate to go back to ramps.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Very useful trailer type. Both level deck, and drop or lowered deck. Called a hydraulic tail trailer.

My old trailer:

1685588337722.jpeg

Attachments

• 1685588365383.jpeg
    1685588365383.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1685588394527.jpeg
    1685588394527.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 11

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What size trailer?

I bought a new 14K BigTex tilt last December and love it.

56wrench

Around here they are known as a hydraulic dovetail. They are basically a two piece dovetail where the rearmost piece folds all the way back underneath and up which acts as a lock/support for the main hinged piece allowing it to carry a load without drooping. A lot of ag dealers use them.

materthegreater

What size trailer?

I bought a new 14K BigTex tilt last December and love it.

10-15 ton. I recently hurt my knee and the heavy ramps on my current 10 ton deckover are not a good idea until I heal up. Perfect excuse to upgrade trailers :cool:

materthegreater

Around here they are known as a hydraulic dovetail. They are basically a two piece dovetail where the rearmost piece folds all the way back underneath and up which acts as a lock/support for the main hinged piece allowing it to carry a load without drooping. A lot of ag dealers use them.
I always wondered how they stay in the level position. I looked at a few pictures and videos and the single piece type looks more like what I'm looking for, but I wonder how those lock into level position.

materthegreater

I am not alot of help but i built one on my gooseneck trailer years ago that was 6 feet long i think. It was to much behind the axles i should have moved them back but i cut it in half and welded 3 feet solid to the trailer. There is a guy here that builds trailer with a hyd tail they look handy but i also wonder how much weight they will hold up when there flat. I have a tilte bed trailer i would hate to go back to ramps.
I have a small tilt deck trailer which is really nice for small stuff but can't haul the mini or dozer with it.

1693TA

Occupation
I deliver farm equipment part time with this trailer. 35' length last 9' or so is hydraulic and mechanically locks into the up position. You slightly elevate the tail, step on a pedal and lower the tail. Works very well:

Attachments

• 1685637522630.jpeg
    1685637522630.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 25
  • 1685637546541.jpeg
    1685637546541.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1685637570953.jpeg
    1685637570953.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 25

materthegreater

Cool setup. Does it have a battery powered hydraulic pack for the movement? I'm curious to know how it works mechanically. I've read that some of them have power down and can lift the trailer off the ground. Also, I need help understanding how the tail can have enough strength to hold loads in the flat position. I know it has some sort of lock to hold it up but there must be some awful forces on the hinge and lock system with any weight on the tail.

hvy 1ton

Cool setup. Does it have a battery powered hydraulic pack for the movement? I'm curious to know how it works mechanically. I've read that some of them have power down and can lift the trailer off the ground. Also, I need help understanding how the tail can have enough strength to hold loads in the flat position. I know it has some sort of lock to hold it up but there must be some awful forces on the hinge and lock system with any weight on the tail.
All smaller hydraulic dovetails have a load limit on the tail. A 24-30K trailer will have a 6-10K load limit on the tail depending on the manufacturer.

1693TA

Occupation
I don't know the tail load limit in the up, or travel position. It will lift about 5K from about 1/2 way up the incline but falls off rapidly if the load is further down the ramp than that. I winch a lot of dead tractors up onto the deck and once up about 50% of the ramp, I raise the tail to lessen the pull on the electric 15K pull winch.

Trailer has two 12.5K Dexter electric brake axles with oil hubs. It is 35' in deck length.