• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic system question

jdpalmer

I have a 1988 953, i loose about 2 gallons of hydraulic fluid every 8 hours run time.I have looked every where and cant find a leak.Is this system isolated or should i look elsewhere.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Serial Number prefix 20Z I assume..? If yes, is the S/N above or below 266..?
If you're losing 2 gallons in 8 hours is the oil level in any other system going up..?
There will be places where the implement hydraulic system does come into contact with other systems.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sure seems like the 2 gallons have to be going some place if not on the ground so checking all the other levels will help narrow down where the problem could be.

One more thing. Is this machine new to you? If not new to you when did this start? How long has it been doing this? I know that's three but all are related!

jdpalmer

I have had the machine several years ,doesnt see a lot of use.This started next to the last time it was used,added 2 gallons back to normal.Other fluids remained the same.MDL 953Z ser 78y01154 .i guess it time to drop the pans.Kinda tough on an old man.

kshansen

Occupation
Not familiar with that machine but seems two gallons of oil would leave an easy to see mess.

Did you have to add the two gallons more than once?

jdpalmer

Well its been hot and dirty,But its fixed.Here is what was found.Dropped the pans located a leak at the fitting,Removed the hose and noticed a small black dot on the flange of the fitting.It was about the size of small pea.I cleaned most of it off and headed to the person that made the hose.I arrived and they were very concerned that i had a problem.Several people examined the hose the head tech took one look and said here is your problem.He was looking at that black spot on the flange.I had cleaned most of it off.They checked the specs within 1 k .Head tech stated clean it put it back on it wont leak.Its back on and doesnt leak.I wont to thank everyone for your help ,Time for a shower and a break.

kshansen

Occupation
Something is missing in the original post. Was this hose recently replaced and had dirt on the flange? There must have been a bunch of oil in the pans?

Agree even a one time leak of two gallons of hydraulic oil would have made a major mess that I find it would be hard to miss! Even a coffee cup of hydraulic oil makes a big mess!

Yes this sounds odd that this small black dot all of a sudden stated leaking, or that you did not feel it was important to let us know that the leak problem started after you had replaced something.

Next time you are looking for advice please be considerate of those here trying to help and fill in the blanks in the first post, don't leave us hanging for four days!

jdpalmer

To clarify there was about 8or 10 inches of dirt leaves on top of the pan and yes it was soaked in oil.I didnt mean to not reply faster , but i can only work so fast by myself. I tried to explain it as best i could .Again thanks for your assistance.