• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Surging......... Stumped........ Model Genie S/N Z45004897

Hcnyl

Occupation
Project manager
Ok, so I'll try and explain this as best I can....
Z45/22 running on Gas, Ford LGR423
when I start it up and let it Idle from the ground and let it warm up it idles well and then it runs up the pressure to around 1800 pounds and the relief on Steer OSC. manifold trips. It happens about every 10-15 seconds. I have checked the pressure in the accumulator, I removed the manifold and checked all solenoids. I'm baffled, I'm assuming the relief is good as it kicks out pressure at 1800 lbs. I'm not real sure on the function of the differential sensing valve?
Any suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated.....
Thanks, Jim

skata

All I can say is did you get the service manual that's available on genie website?

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Service manual on the website, or call Genie tech and they'll walk you through the whole procedure. They're actually one of the better ones over the phone (depending who you get).

Hcnyl

Occupation
Project manager
Ya, I have downloaded every Manual I can find, Nothing on my issue?
I call Genie and all they want to do is sell me a different machine. I like (not right now) this one..... :Do_O;)
thanks though. I'll keep diggin!!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm not a genie guy but I have to ask, why is your pump bumping the relief if you're not steering against a stop? Something is telling your valve it needs oil. What kinda pump is hanging off the engine? Is it a simple gear pump, a load sensing pump, whatcha got. Can you upload a pic? I'll try to help the best I can.

hydraulichec

My guess,, would be electrical. I might start checking the switches on the boom, that activate axle locks. And associated wiring. These are wearable components. I think there are two. One towards back of machine, and one near the front. Good luck.

Vetech63

If I were you I would check all the safety switches over the entire machine before you do anything else. Most all of those switches are exposed to the elements and are famous for hanging up. Ive chased my tail a few times over a stuck safety switch.

Hcnyl

Occupation
Project manager
I'm not a genie guy but I have to ask, why is your pump bumping the relief if you're not steering against a stop? Something is telling your valve it needs oil. What kinda pump is hanging off the engine? Is it a simple gear pump, a load sensing pump, whatcha got. Can you upload a pic? I'll try to help the best I can.
See if this helps any.

Attachments

• hyd. print.jpg
    hyd. print.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 8

Hcnyl

Occupation
Project manager

Update....
I put a guage between accumulator and check valve. When I start the lift it idles at about 300lbs. of pressure as it should. The oscillation valve switches and cylinders retract as they should (Untill the lift basket gets so far off the ground). I removed wiring from steering valve and Oscillation valve. After about 15-20 seconds of idling pressure builds to 1800lbs. (quickly, within a couple seconds) and kicks the relief then it will sit at 300lbs. again for 10 seconds maybe 15 and do it again.
I removed the accumulator completely and then the pressure cycles quicker about every 5 seconds. I checked pressure it was about 1200lbs. so I charged it to 1600 as print shows. It will still cycle pressure about every 10-15 seconds again.
I'm going to check on the steering dump valve today. somehow the pressure needs to get to tank until Its called to do something?
thanks for your input.......

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
By removing the accumulator, the cycle time shortened? That says, to me, something that uses accumulator pressure is bleeding to tank. Something should be getting warm and/or making a hissing noise. Good luck on the hunt.