• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic pump.... Its gone....

Matthew

Occupation
Carpenter
Alright guys, try this one.... 1984 cat 953

Loud whine for about 10 seconds and then no hydraulics.. No fluid on the ground, but when I took the fill cap off, it was near full and literally had steam coming out of the hole. fluid had the consistency of water.

Although Im sure the pum went out, I am open to suggestion otherwise. Furthermore if anyone could point me in the right direction of where to get a new pump. or rebuild kit.

Thanks guys.

Matthew

Union Carpenter

dtt454

Occupation
heavy equpment repair
what he said, likely cracked the outer ring. its only a couple hour job to rebuild the pump, just pay attention to how it came apart and put the new one back in the same way. and make sure it doesnt run without oil for even a second.

Matthew

Occupation
Carpenter
so try this one.... When the hydraulics quit working, I parked it where it was... today, I crank the loader, intent on taking it into the barn, and now the hydraulics work fine... I thought I had the problem figured out.... anyone know what wold cause the hydraulics to quit working the, and now the work fine?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Loud whine for about 10 seconds and then no hydraulics.. No fluid on the ground, but when I took the fill cap off, it was near full and literally had steam coming out of the hole. fluid had the consistency of water.

so try this one.... When the hydraulics quit working, I parked it where it was... today, I crank the loader, intent on taking it into the barn, and now the hydraulics work fine...

Are you saying the machine has been parked since June? When it quit the first time, back in June, did the fluid look like it had water in it, milky looking color?

Matthew

Occupation
Carpenter
Yes, the machine has been parked since the end of June. The fluid was the normal color, just that it was as thin as water, not that there was water in it.

Matthew

Occupation
Carpenter
Also, when I took the cap of of the hydraulic reservoir, it had an incredible amount of air pressure behind it.

overworked

Air pressure normal, main pressure relief may have stuck ( whine noise ) change filters in hyd tank and pull them apart to inspect,

Hendrik

Talking about bobs without hydraulics. Was on a job the other day and they had a rental bob, which decided to stop for morning smoko. Turns out this baby melroe had a bearing let go on the idler which tensions the V belt driving the hyd pump.