• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Pump Control Arm Shaft Seal (replacement)

Jr1670

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance.

I have a older model 1830 Case Uni-loader with the Cessna Hydraulic pumps. The pump control arm seal is leaking on the left side pump (most forward). I've gone to Coleman Equipment and found the parts but have a few questions on the procedure to repair.

- Is it possible to make this repair without removing the pump? It's very tight quarters but I believe I can remove the snap ring. Not sure if once the snap ring is removed will the O ring cover come off fairly easy without needing some type of heavy duty puller?

- Second question is regarding the hydraulic oil. Once I remove the snap ring, cover and O ring will it leak a great deal of oil? Or should I drain down all the oil in the resovior before doing the repair?

Any information or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping it can be done without removing the pump as this looks like one heck of huge job.

Thank again and have a great day.

Jr

mascas

Occupation
Mechanic
been a while, but I think it is doable. The control on this if I remember right is connected straight to the swash. The bushing on the bottom should hold it still. You will lose whatever oil is above the pump. It would be better to filter the oil out into a barrel and change the seal and then filter it back in. If the shaft is grooved you may be out of luck though. Good luck.