• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic on pneumatics

TVA

Hydraulic hose is really bad for pneumatics because of troubleshooting reasons!
Hydraulic hose actually leaks as million tiny pinholes, which is almost impossible to hear - but it leaks fast!

Had to work on old Pettibone Cherry Picker, almost all pneumatic connections was made with hydraulic hose with JIC fittings!
Was a real nightmare to find air leaks!
Finally I sprayed water on suspected spot on the hose and saw millions tiny bubbles!
But I couldn’t hear a thing!

Last edited:

wornout wrench

Let me guess

Cotton covered hose with reusable fittings?

Been there, done that.
Kept a spray bottle of soapy water handy at all times

TVA

Also tried “push on” hose and fittings because that’s the only not crimped hose I could get at that time and place to attach to JIC fittings ( didn’t feel like replacing allot theAnd didn’t like it!
Let me guess

Cotton covered hose with reusable fittings?

Been there, done that.
Kept a spray bottle of soapy water handy at all times
This time it was crimped fittings but yes was a fabric jacket!
Just so happened that I didn’t bring my AC backpack because machine didn’t have A/C in it, so my Big Blue wasn’t with me!