• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic line splitter into two lines with shut off on one of two lines.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Hello
I have a Kubota KX151 same as KX161 mini excavator that has a hydraulic tumb on the digging stick.
I want to add some kind of splitter so i can shut off the hyd flow to hyd thumb and use the hyd flow on the tilt bucket.
I see videos on you tube that show the operator turns a nub on a hyd line box to shut off flow to one attachment and the hyd flow then goes to another attachment.
What parts do you know that would do this function?
Thank you
Bob

Tags

Just a simple diverter valve on each side of the stick. I did this to my 161 years ago for the same reason you are looking to do it. Works great. I went with a valve that installed right off of the hard pipes on the stick. Then hard plumbed the thumb lines and put quick couplers on the other outlet side to plug the tilt bucket in. The only downside is you won’t be able to use the thumb with your tilt bucket. Kind of an either or deal. IMG_1291.jpeg

Jonas302

Entropy1

Manual valve linked above.

Two electric valves (different flow-ratings) linked above. Electric are nice - just hit a switch.

A pair of 3-way valves (aka single-selector) works also.

Just make sure whichever you decide is flow-rated and pressure-rated for your application.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Just a simple diverter valve on each side of the stick. I did this to my 161 years ago for the same reason you are looking to do it. Works great. I went with a valve that installed right off of the hard pipes on the stick. Then hard plumbed the thumb lines and put quick couplers on the other outlet side to plug the tilt bucket in. The only downside is you won’t be able to use the thumb with your tilt bucket. Kind of an either or deal. View attachment 299089
Looks like what I want. What brand and model of valve did you use? The other side of the stick has a longer hyd hose length. did you install the 3 way valve at the end of the steel hyd line or also at the top of the steel hyd line on that side?

Entropy1

Lake side bob - a single selector valve (a few linked above) does the same exact thing as a 3 way ball valve. The main difference being they are a spool-type design that's intended for high pressure hydraulic service. Most high pressure 3-way ball valves are designed for air, not oil. Not saying they aren't out there to be purchased - but rather a single or double-selector hydraulic valve is the proper device for the job.

If both of your hydraulic lines are next to each other, a double selector valve is probably what you want. Much easier to plumb in, only one valve to buy. If you have a hydraulic line on each side of the boom, then the single selector valve makes sense. But you're buying two valves, and you'll need to remember to switch both valves.

Tags

Bob, I can’t remember the model of valve, but Entropy has supplied all you should need. I set up each side the same way.

Entropy1

Pay attention to the valve-connection threaded ports. SAE (o-ring) threads are usually the easiest to use (SAE to JIC adapters go right in). But so will NPT (pipe thread to JIC adapters). I try to avoid NPT hose ends - just a preference.

Surplus Center is a great online hydraulic store. Their prefabricated hose assemblies are rather inexpensive, and they have an outstanding selection of hydraulic fittings/adapters - including BSPP fittings. Unfortunately their Komatsu fitting selection is lacking - but no store is perfect.

heymccall

I picked a -12 sae valve at random.
Screenshot_20231121-174706_Chrome.jpg
All my Cats with thumb simply have a 2way (on/off) on the thumb circuit. If you wanna thumb it, just disconnect the flat face couplers to your attachment.