• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Hose Service Plugs

01Time

I looked at buying a plug kit, but they seem to be pretty pricey considering what they are and how infrequently I would need to use them. Is there a DIY solution to plugging an open hydraulic hose during maintenance of a hydraulic component?

Ct Farmer

You don’t need name brand plugs/caps. Cheap Chicom plugs are just fine and way better than duct tape or old corks. Buy them separately to get only what you need.

Regardless, plugs are way cheaper than the components they are protecting.

hosspuller

I'm a DIY working on only my machines. I highly recommend you buy a metal ORFS kit of plugs and caps on Ebay or such. Quality is minimal as is the cost. Second, is buy a kit of O-rings for the ORFS fittings instead of buying the O-rings one at a time. Plus you have a ready replacement if you have a leak or open a fitting that's been in place for a decade. Having the metal set also allows you to keep using the machine, minus the function capped off. A baggy and rubber band can't do that.

01Time

I'll look at the metal plugs and caps on eBay and see what's reasonably priced.

I guess my issue now is knowing what sizes. My machine is out on my land over an hour a way and my HOA where I live now has already given me a warning about parking it on my driveway before I took it out there. So I'm stuck doing all of my repairs on-site and I want to make sure when I get out there to work on it, I have the right tools. I've looked around the operator's manual and the Cat Parts website and I can't find any information as to what size any of the fittings are.

Specifically, I'm going to be replacing a joystick (RH) and it looks to have six lines running to it that I will have to disconnect. I'm guessing they're 1/2" (+/- 1/8"), but that's a wide range and needing six of them would likely meaning buying multiple kits. Anyone know the size of these specific lines (Cat 246 | s/n 5SZ078xx)? Assuming that is known, any other sizes that are common and should be purchased now?

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
I'm in the same situation with my machine, an hour away. My guy at the hose shop I use was very understanding. He got me a bag full of different sizes that work on my machine, metal caps and plugs, male and female. Most shops have them on stock and would know what will fit. They weren't all that expensive and it's great to have them handy for the repairs. Keeps oil from leaking. I picked up a small plastic ammo can to keep them in.:)

01Time

That’s not a bad idea. I might try to go by the local hose shop and see what they can do for me.

01Time

Those are what I was originally considering since they are a one-size-fits-all option. But it sounded like from the initial responses to my post, that they aren't recommended. And at that price, I think I will first look at the metal screw-in plugs/caps that would specifically fit my needs, as they actually might be less expensive in the end.

ThreeCW

Specifically, I'm going to be replacing a joystick (RH) and it looks to have six lines running to it that I will have to disconnect. I'm guessing they're 1/2" (+/- 1/8"), but that's a wide range and needing six of them would likely meaning buying multiple kits. Anyone know the size of these specific lines (Cat 246 | s/n 5SZ078xx)? Assuming that is known, any other sizes that are common and should be purchased now?

I removed and repaired my LH joystick on my 2008 CAT 242B. I did not use plugs ... and it was a bit of a messy job. I don't know the sizes of the lines, but 5 of them were the same size and they did not leak oil. The 1 that was the larger size, leaked oil continuously and had to be be plugged and taped. See the attached photos to give you an idea what you are up against.

A few tips. Mark each line and take pictures before you disassemble. Keep track of the order of disassembly and reassemble in the reverse order, as there is limited wrench room and it is not fun reassembling it twice (don't ask how I found this out). I used a clamp on the joy stick body as a backup for wrenching (see photo). Not a bad job, but tight quarters ... I had my cab tilted back for this which gave better access.

IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1419.JPG

heymccall

The biggest advantage to having steel caps and plugs...
If you understand how your machine works, you can disable a failed circuit safely and limp the machine to a more convenient location for repair.
Mind you, not every failure can be plugged off (like a pump output hose) and allow the machine to run, but many can, such as a bucket cylinder or arm cylinder circuit.

Tinkerer

Who says caps and plugs are expensive ?
You found a good deal there.
Depends where you buy them I guess. The first ones I purchased were from a Parker dealer. I needed them that day. Never again there tho.
I should mention that I don't burn an entire hose when I salvage the ends.
I just put a torch on the fitting skirt until it releases the hose.