• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic filter issue

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Not sure where to post this so I put it here for visibility.
I have a bobcat that has a stuck hydraulic filter... and I mean stuck!
With a large wrench I was able to turn the filter but instead of coming off, the outer casing is spinning and the inner filter is stuck.
I don’t want to do the screwdriver trick yet since there’s not much room around it... and I’m worried that will destroy the filter.
Anybody ever had this happen?
Any ideas?
Edit: it’s a 2004 t180

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
You want the filter off to install a replacemnt. What difference does it make if you destroy it in the process..?
True... it’s just always a PITA doing it that way

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I'd be going after it with a strap/chain wrench socket before punching any holes in it.

Don't know if that one will continue to drain the tank when opened up, but that could be a real big mess to clean up if it still won't come loose after hammering a screwdriver in.

JD955SC

Take the mount itself off. It’s easier when you can clamp the mount in a vise in the open to work on it. Probably end up having to split the can with some hammer and chisel work to get it off

Tags

If you can't stop the hydraulic oil while it's off you can use a shop vac to pull vacuum on the tank while you work on it. I can't stand when a filter gets over tightened and won't come off, so much for the "I've got a few minutes, let me change out that filter quick".....been there, done that

ESDE

Occupation
self employed due to low boredom threshold
grab a wide cold chisel and hammer. You want to hit it right where the outer skin crimps to the base, at the top edge of the filter as it's pictured. Hit it and make nice little dent that you can get the chisel in, and angled to help turn it loose. Been there, done that, it always works.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Figured I’d post the conclusion... got it to spin off by setting a screw into the rim.
Gasket looked pretty dry

Attachments

• 5FF99F26-7847-4498-9EC4-BC690F467A24.jpeg
    5FF99F26-7847-4498-9EC4-BC690F467A24.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32

Welder Dave

I had an OEM Donaldson installed by a dealer that leaked all the oil out after about an hour of use. It was almost like the O-ring wasn't thick enough to properly seal. I put lots of oil on a new filter and got it snug with a filter wrench but didn't reef it as tight as it would go.