• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic cylinder seal

Tinkerer

It appears that that is the wiper seal that goes in the outer (last) groove in the gland.
Could you post a photo of the seal that you are having a problem with.
If it is the inner seal that has to be folded before installing there is a very neat tool available to fold it and install it.
For those that don't have a Google account here is Rocco's seal.seel.jpg

RoccoHD

I apologize for the photo. If you blow it up you'll see the seal is sitting on top of the gland. I have the necessary tools for the rubber seals that collapse them. This is a hard plastic seal that has a stepped edge and has no bend in it.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Measure the OD of the seal and the ID of the hole it goes in. The seal OD should not be more than a couple thousands larger for a press fit. If it's any larger than that the kit has the wrong wiper seal for your cylinder.

I ran into that on my New Holland stabilizers. I ended up machining the hole out for the included seal. I also ran into it on my crowd cylinder in fact none of the possible kits had the right wiper. On that I had to measure the hole and order a wiper seal by size.

Outdoort

So Ive done like 8 cylinders so far on my 580 super k and all Ive used is a pick set/ some fine emery cloth/ and a hammer with a aluminum rod used to install the wiper seal. Ive never had a problem installing the main gland seal, and never needed the special fold over install tool.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
I have done hundreds of them and just used a hammer handle and rolled them into place, Very seldom had any difficulty.