• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Cylinder, How does it come apart

RBerry

This cylinder is on a Champ forklift mode 350-80 built in 1985.

It looks like a ring in the small hole, I can turn the packing gland round and round so it is not threaded in.

Attachments

• IMG_7216.jpg
    IMG_7216.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 136

Delmer

That ring is all that holds it together. You grab ahold of one end and pull it out at the same time that you turn the gland the same direction. That's a common style I THINK it is, I've never seen one that looks quite like this. You might have to bend one of those ends over, or do they both go to the right?

RBerry

Delmer,
Thanks for getting back to me on this.
The part on the left has a raised area on it then bends in to a hole. so I would have to turn the gland to the right to get hold of the other end on the right. It looks like a strong piece steel. It looks like a strange design to me.
I will let you know if that works.

Delmer

Usually there is a slot and only one end of the wire ring visible, or no wire visible. So you have to figure out just how that one went together and comes apart. You could search for images of "wire lock hydraulic cylinder" or something like that to see how they typically work.