• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic cylinder gland nut leaking after rebuilding

cjmc

Hi all
I recently put new seals in the dipper arm cylinder of my excavator.
Today was the first day I ran it properly since resealing.
There is a small weap of oil coming from between the gland nut and cylinder barrel.
I guess the oil is bypassing the o ring seal on the gland nut.
I used a genuine seal kit and made sure to use plenty of lube when reassembling the cylinder and also followed the workshop manual.
It is a threaded gland nut that is on the cylinder, not a cap with a ring of bolts.
If I was to unscrew the nut halfway, and apply thread tape or compound, and tighten the nut again, would you think it would seal it up?
Thanks

Vetech63

Some cylinder glands used a o-ring just under the gland lip as a dirt protector. Not sure if yours was designed that way but your idea should work as long as the perimeter o-ring wasn't damaged when you installed the gland back into the barrel.

cjmc

Some cylinder glands used a o-ring just under the gland lip as a dirt protector. Not sure if yours was designed that way but your idea should work as long as the perimeter o-ring wasn't damaged when you installed the gland back into the barrel.
Thanks for the reply.
Ya I suppose I wont know if its damaged or not until I unscrew the gland a bit. I was very careful to keep everything straight and used plenty of lube to prevent the o rings getting damaged, so hopefully it's ok.

56wrench

any sharp edges inside the barrel can nick an o-ring. they need to be smoothed before installation of the gland in the barrel