• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hybrid Mining machinery

Miner89

Hi all..

new here, so hopefully this is the right place

i am compiling an assignment for my final year of college(dublin institute of technology in Ireland)

on hybrid mining equipment. i am writing here to see if anyone has any links or files that contain information regarding this subject or if anyone knows the best place to find it.. i currently have 4 years working in Tara Mines Ltd In Ireland ( Europes largest Lead and Zinc Mine) but am now trying to branch out to international methods and Uses for this new type of technology that is being currently tested

many thanks

norite

i am compiling an assignment ...... on hybrid mining equipment. i am writing here to see if anyone has ...... information regarding this subject

I'll bite, I am a former miner and I am from Sudbury, the former "nickel mining capital of the world".

Just what is "hybrid mining equipment"? A search on google wasn't much help.

Miner89

Hybrid Mining

I'll bite, I am a former miner and I am from Sudbury, the former "nickel mining capital of the world".

Just what is "hybrid mining equipment"? A search on google wasn't much help.

There is recent advancments in technology that are both diesel/electric combined scoop trams/trucks etc.

these are to to reduce fuel costs and as a result have reduced emmissions therfore reducing the ventilation costs

norite

I haven't seen that in the existing mines that I have worked at lately. There are electric/hydraulic drill jumbos with diesel carriers but they aren't what you are talking about.

They do have electric trucks that run on O/H catenary with battery backup for when they go off the main line.

There is two major new mines which have come on stream in the area (Sudbury) and several existing mines that are expanding at depth so this equipment may be in use there or is planned for future use but I have no knowledge of it being currently used or plans to use it. However the mining companies here have invested heavily in advanced technology and if this hybrid technolgy is worthwhile I am sure they are planning to adopt it.

Timmins, Ontario has had a recent gold mine come into production, with several others being considered for development. As well some older mines are being worked thanks to the high price of gold currently. I have no knowledge of the equipment they are using there.

Hopefully this is helpful, if I hear of any use of hybrid machinery I'll be sure to post back. Sounds like a good idea to me.

norite

Talked to two friends this weekend, one works at Vale (formerly INCO) and the other works at Xstrata (formerly Falconbridge). Neither has heard of any ot hybrid equipment being used here yet, but neither works at the new mine sites either.