• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hy dynamic dynahoe Re

ted0175

Hi everyone. Does anyone know anything about these machines or know what model this may be? The seller says that is is an 80's model with a gas engine.

General thoughts on it and you think it's worth 5500? Thanks for the help.

Pictures are attached. I'm located in northern Wisconsin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190507-070909.png
    Screenshot_20190507-070909.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20190507-070936.png
    Screenshot_20190507-070936.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20190507-070920.png
    Screenshot_20190507-070920.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20190507-070948.png
    Screenshot_20190507-070948.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 43

Tinkerer

I have never seen one with a gas engine. $5500.00 --- noooo !
That thing is a money pit. Parts may be impossible to obtain for it.
Run away from it as fast as you can.
If you are in northern Wisconsin you really need a machine with a cab.
Remember the advice LN Pipeline gave you in April about Cat, Case or Deere machines ?

Last edited:

ted0175

Thanks for he info. Yep I remember, Not exactly the largest selection in my price range, so I'm exploring all my options. Need to fix my house before the snow comes back.

Delmer

Dynahoe's are not that rare, there is/was a yahoo group with some info. I'd seriously doubt the 80's claim. I've never seen one without a cab, or with a gas engine, that might be a VERY early one, which can be a terrible purchase compared to a 580K that I saw sell for that same price range. Or a gas MF for much less. The parts are out there, it's just a matter if you want to put in the effort to find them. This goes for this one or the JCB. Early JCB's were built off Leyland chassis, and there's plenty of them in WI junkyards. You'll need to order nearly everything, but that's not a big deal if you can wait and can use the internet, don't even have to learn Italian, the British can probably understand us. The dynahoes were mostly off the shelf components, but that doesn't mean they're easy to find, just that there's not that much that is proprietary to dynahoe.

What are you intending to do with it? and what's your background in mechanics and operating? that will go a long way toward what somebody will suggest. If you're asking on here, we kind of have to assume you're getting in way over your head and know nothing about what can go wrong on something like this, tell us otherwise.

ted0175

I will be the first to say I'm very novice with operating a backhoe. I do consider myself a good mechanic. I am using this because my basement wall failed on my house and the insurance company isn't going to cover the repair. I don't have 35-40k laying around to pay someone to do it with my military paycheck. So I am going to tackle this job myself with the help of friends and family. I have looked into a rental but for the amount of time I'm going to need the machine to complete it all it would cost more to rent. I do have a small farm and my family and myself will find many different uses for a backhoe. Hence the reason for why I'm looking at such old machines. You are completely correct in saying that I'm over my head, that is why I'm asking the experts on advise. I realize I'm going to have to work on these old machines, I already work on my own vehicles and tractors as it is.

At the end of the day I'm just trying to fix my house so my family can keep a roof over our heads while balancing a time demanding military career. So yes I don't know what I'm getting into, but one way or another I will fix my house in the little time that I have. Sorry for the rant, I do appreciate everyone's opinion and taking the time to answer my noobie questions. For what's it's worth the owner said there are no leaks and the pins/bushings are tight and has replaced a bunch a part already.

Delmer

I'd dig it out by hand before I'd buy something like this, just too much to go wrong in my mind. IF you could work the machine a couple hours and start to get a feel for it, then maybe it would do OK for you. Take a look at the slop in the pins and bushings (how much does the backhoe swing side to side when you stop swinging) how much the bucket wiggles, how the cylinders and hoses look for rubber deterioration, scratched chrome on the rods, cracked rubber hoses.

Being a gas without a cab, IF it REALLY is from the 80's, it might not have had the hours put on it (like from a small town or cemetery) and the hoe might be tight enough to not drive you nuts. The regular tractor stuff applies, tires, engine etc. The big difference is the bigger/more expensive hydraulics, more hoses, more abuse than a farm tractor, hopefully a torque converter transmission. It probably won't climb a hill in road gear, you want it to spin the tires in low gears though.

Having a tractor already, I'd suggest a mini excavator, or better yet, pay somebody to dig out the basement wall, then backfill on your own.

Tinkerer

Your last post was not a rant in my life. You just stated the facts and the struggle you are facing. I wish I lived near you, you could use my TLB all you want.
I ran a 190 DynaHoe many years ago. It had a Detroit diesel in it. It was like a saddle on pig as far as getting it do anything with the front bucket. It was in good mechanical condition to !
Don't push yourself into buying a piece of junk. For $5500.00 you should be able to get a TLB with a cab.
Thanks for your military commitment !!
The first house I built had a crawl space, and I back-filled it with a wheelbarrow and a shovel. 1750 square foot crawl space. Young and poor. Now I am really old and still poor!

Mother Deuce

That machine is really early. See attached article https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/the-dynamic-dynahoe/41352 My Dad had 5 of them... A 160 and 4 190's the boom cylinders were on the boom spine. Those machines were from 67 to 73 screaming and I mean screaming Jimmys. I have never seen a gasser or that particular head light arrangement. Dad's were all in the the grill.

Last edited:

Delmer

"One of the first Dynahoe models was the Model A, which came equipped with a Continental F-244 gasoline engine developing 65 hp." from Mother Deuce's link

I wouldn't want a flathead gas engine on anything I needed to use in tough situations. That's just too old to be practical. Now if it was your grandpa's and you wanted to keep it running for your kids, that's another story, but you haven't fallen in love with this yet, plenty of fish in the sea.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Maybe the engine is an 80's model ;)

I have two of the 160's on the property both mid 60's machines.
that machine looks very similar I know they changed a lot by the 70's
d160-1.jpg d160-2.jpg d160-3.jpg

5500 is way to high unless it's a cream puff ;) parts are hard to come by but most the heavy stuff is generic truck stuff... for the most part ;) These suckers are heavy and being two wheel drive doesn't help much if you have the wrong kind of dirt under ya'....

Oh yeah... the early model AD's looked a bit different too. plus the 190's had the self leveling linkage on the loader.. unlike this one

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Mine still has the screamin' 353 in it, I think the next change they went to 4's then in the 80's something other than a detroit.

Also: I still have the side badges for mine... took em' off to change some hoses a few years ago, was going to paint them.... well.... haven't gotten around to it yet :D

ted0175

Yep all you guys were right. Come to find out that it's a high school kid selling it. No serial number on the machine, was not in as good as condition as he thought. Tires junk, and I agree it's a late 60's model with a inline 6 cylinder. Definitely no worth what he wanted. Delmer that's the same as what I found when I tried to look it up. I showed it that to this kid and he argued with me about it. Back in the hunt. That's for the info.

Welder Dave

"One of the first Dynahoe models was the Model A, which came equipped with a Continental F-244 gasoline engine developing 65 hp." from Mother Deuce's link

I wouldn't want a flathead gas engine on anything I needed to use in tough situations. That's just too old to be practical. Now if it was your grandpa's and you wanted to keep it running for your kids, that's another story, but you haven't fallen in love with this yet, plenty of fish in the sea.

Lots of SA200 Lincoln owners would disagree with you about the flat head Continentals. Still lots of F162's and the newer F163's earning their keep. Would suck the gas pretty good but have heard of some going 20,000 hours.

gwgal88

Yep all you guys were right. Come to find out that it's a high school kid selling it. No serial number on the machine, was not in as good as condition as he thought. Tires junk, and I agree it's a late 60's model with a inline 6 cylinder. Definitely no worth what he wanted. Delmer that's the same as what I found when I tried to look it up. I showed it that to this kid and he argued with me about it. Back in the hunt. That's for the info.
Are you looking for an older Dynahoe?