• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Husqvarna 324LD and other garbage 4 strokes FIXED

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
Good in theory bad in practice. Never runs right. Always struggling. Chrome bore OHC garbage engine put on so many of their small machines. Honda GX series? Great stuff. GC and similar? Absolute trash.

So. I found a two stroke engine that is 100% bolt on. Bought as a curved shaft off fleabay for $120. Only thing that didn't bolt right up is the ground- bullet connector instead of eyelet under bolt. Runs great right out of the box. These engines are super common. Some are not legal in all states due to branding, but mine came with an EPA # as well as a CARB EO. YMMV.

Do a search for 26cc trimmer and you will probably find them. Colors vary and some are rebranded.

Attachments

• 20210520_112051.jpg
    20210520_112051.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
Throttle cable is long enough, screws right into the 2 stroke threads. Use jam nut to dial it in. I was lazy and used a wire nut for the ground wire as I was too lazy to find a bullet connector. Zip tied outta the way seems "good enough".

Husqvarna has great ergonomics and the split shaft is high quality. Plus now all my attachments work. The donor trimmer end was OK, but fit and finish was bordering janky. Fit and finish on the engine is really pretty good, and even matches the color scheme! :D

Attachments

• 20210520_110815.jpg
    20210520_110815.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 23

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
Nothing to say to naysaying trolls.

To those with the misfortune of buying a Husqvarna four stroke? My condolences, but you're welcome! ;) Posted in stoopid spot? Oops. I tried to find the best place.

skyking1

If it does not burn diesel and have a seat, then it does not get as much attention :)
I appreciate your efforts though. I did a similar thing, fixing one of those indoor/outdoor weather stations costco sold years ago. I sized up and sourced a little motor that ran off a solar panel to keep it cool.

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
Yeah, I kinda figured. But at least something will show up on a Google search. All I found was people smashing them with sledgehammers. And cursing. Quite a bit of cursing. XD

IDK if diesels will ever really get weedeater size, but I did just drop a 3hp direct injected diesel on my janky old tiller. So I guess I'll have to find a seat for it... ;)

Attachments

• 20210518_182917.jpg
    20210518_182917.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21

skyking1

I've seen some motorcycle conversions with the chinese diesels like that, you are on the right track :)

totalloser

Occupation
Groundwork/Fabrication
There is a lot to be said for the little diesels IMO. They can be... interesting to start- but if you know how, they start EVERY time no matter how long they sit. For this reason I set up my local FD with a couple 10hp yanmar knockoff pumps. Tig welded ballbearing NST fire fittings on to pillage water from ponds and the like. And they paid off delivering equivalent to a fleet of tenders.

Less power too, but most gas engines have to be derated due to duty cycle (and thermal preignition), the diesels will grunt through intermittent load, albeit smoking a bit.

I was expecting the 3hp to be HORRIBLE to start due to the smaller flywheel carrying through past the decompression cycle, but was shocked how easy it is. I'm pretty sure the Yanmar knockoffs have too much timing after starting this one. It's remarkably quiet too. Not a split-shot system and 19:1 so that's not why. I just got a couple .2mm injection pump shims to retard timing on a couple of my Yanmar knockoffs for this reason.

Sure is a bummer when an engine on an otherwise good product is a dud. I don't mess around on small engine forums or I woulda' shared the weedeater thing there. But it seems there is no other internet solution. And this install was *easy* and clean.

Not as exciting as putting fire curtains in my dozer, but I guess I gotta fix the reverser first. :p