• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hub conversion Fruehauf trailer

MeanGene427

I have a 1968 Fruehauf deckover tiltbed trailer, dual axle single wheels rated @20K. It has the Dexter 8-133 rim clamp 5-lug 14.5" hubs, and I would like to convert it to 8 lug hubs so I can run good 16" rims n HD tires on it, don't trust the 14.5's. What hubs would work, or will I need to pull a wheel and get the bearing #s/ measurements? I need to crawl under and look for Dexter axle numbers too. Anyone familiar with this conversion? This is a very handy trailer with an 8x20 ft tilt deck, just would like to upgrade the wheels n tires

dporter

Occupation
landscape, project manager
Should be easy. I just did that conversion to mine. my axles were newer , having been changed out four or five years ago. They were a direct replacement. New drums and bearings fit right up no revisions. My understanding if your axles are older than you will need a new outer bearing to match.

If i understand your description correctly you have two axles with single wheels, four tires total. is that correct? if so running 8/14.5 tires your max weight should be 12000lbs based on the tires alone.
Am i correct or misunderstanding your setup?

MeanGene427

Yep, dual axle, single wheels. Did you find a kit with drums & hubs? Have to go by bearing size? I know it will work, was looking for what hubs/ drums to make it work. I have seen kits in the past complete with wheels n tires, but didn't want to go that way and end up with Chinesium tires

dporter

Occupation
landscape, project manager
No my hubs did not need changing, they were the same. Only needed new drums. Rims and tires of course.