• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Howdy from an Indiana farmer

Just bought our first excavator, a JD 270D from Ritchie bros. It was a Minnesota Limited machine. 4800hrs. Waiting on a hydraulic thumb to start clearing trees. We farm in east central Indiana. So far i've fixed the radio (none of the buttons worked), wet sanded and polished the sunroof to make it transparent again, and straightened all the belly pans.

dOOMN30.jpg

o0MwhbL.jpg

OLMLOsR.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! We painted most of the excavator and added a thumb. Also got an '03 Etnyre 45ton and blasted and painted it. The excavator has been derated since the day after it was delivered, go figure. It had several codes pertaining to the turbo speed sensor and VGT actuator. I replaced the turbo speed sensor which cured those codes, but then traced the VGT actuator codes down to corroded pins on the top ECU connector. I cleaned the ECU pins with sandpaper glued to a miniature screwdriver, and used a torch cleaner to scuff the female harness pins. It still throws a VGT calibration code at startup, but that clears as soon as i raise the throttle position.

Special thanks to tool_king for sharing some helpful info.

20180707_165300.jpg 20180716_122815 2.jpg20180627_153531.jpg fresh paint 2.jpg

Last edited: