• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How young is too young to run a 312?

stumper120

:) if you realy want to freak out his teachers in a few years teach him how to read a set of plans and read grades:) this way he can bring in a laser or a total station for show in tell. i usually tell people who want to run equiptment first learn to run a grease gun than ill show you how to run a excavator. but in his case he probably cant reach the upper dipper fitting so show him in a few years:usa

Raildudes dad

:) if you realy want to freak out his teachers in a few years teach him how to read a set of plans and read grades:) this way he can bring in a laser or a total station for show in tell. i usually tell people who want to run equiptment first learn to run a grease gun than ill show you how to run a excavator. but in his case he probably cant reach the upper dipper fitting so show him in a few years:usa

My son & I volunteered at the local tourist railroad. We (mom & dad) got a call one day from one of his elementary school teachers who said "we" need to discuss telling the truth with him. She said he's telling all the kids he's running a locomotive on Saturday. I had the pleasure of telling her, "he does". The engineers would let him run the locomotive in either yard switching or work train service. They told me he was the best, very patient, careful and content to wait for orders unlike some of the others. I liked having him in the cab, I knew he couldn't get hurt there:)

He started operating at 10. One of our friends owned his own excavating business. We saw him downtown one Saturday evening. He needed to move all his equipment off the job site and the bobcat wouldn't fit on the trailer with all the rest of his stuff. He asked my son, do you want to run this? He said YES!!!. Tom gave him a few pointers in the lot and had him turn it around twice. He then said keep to the right along the curb and dad, you follow him with your 4 ways flashiing. My son roaded it about 1.5 miles to the yard. Talk about happy as a pig in mud cool:

From then on, there was no stopping him. The MOW guys at the RR put him on a tie crane with a couple joys sticks and he was their best operator. One of the guys brought a CAT 416 to use to load a hi rail ballast truck and after an hour you would have thought he had run it for months.

You'll have lots of good memories of their younger years.

newjcb123uk

Youth vs Experience!

Yes! never too young! - here's my wee fella Christian at 18 months trying his hand at an Hitachi EX100. Anytime he sees something big and hydraulic, out come the words "brumm brumm digga" - makes your heart melt! I have a lot of prized scale models which I used to worship but when he points and wants to play with one I just can't help but give in - (better than wanting to try his mums high heels on ea?):bouncegri :bouncegri

Attachments

• a 274.jpg
    a 274.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 384

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Raildudes dad! :drinkup

solar140

I was in the seat of a backhoe when i was 6, all the best operators started young you know lol.

CatYelloBlooded

Occupation
Shop Mechanic
Brings back memories, i was on top of the world at ten years old in a 580K. I think its great to learn young as long as safety is stressed.

dayexco

my son's son, isaac....and my daughter's daughter ella...the parents are holding them in our 544G deere loader.

Attachments

• isaacloader.jpg
    isaacloader.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 240
  • grandpasnewloaderoperator-2.jpg
    grandpasnewloaderoperator-2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 240

Eric

Good looking kids! Getting them started out right I see. I kinda miss having a baby around, mine are all grown up now... 2 and 4!

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I drove a 320 when I was 6ish. 13 and still doing it.

Looks like they could just kick the levers instead of reaching the pedals.

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
My son just turned 5 and he has been running the skid loader & mini for close to 2 years now. He loves going to clear fence rows with just so he can dig the trash holes. I was 5 when I started running dad's dozer. I want my son to not be afraid but yet respect the equipment so starting them young is great. My son wanted me to bring the mini to show and tell at pre-school but I didn't think the teacher would like a big hole in the side yard.

bindian

Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Here I'm giving my Grand daughter, Chloe, some seat time in my CAT E70. Every time she comes over it's....."I wanna ride in the exkaavator".
hugs, Brandi
4-2-16 Chloe & Grams ham it up in the CAT.jpgChloe and her CAT.jpg