• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How worn is my UC? Cat 227

JMR-TBAY

Just curious what some options are on the condition of my UC.

This is an early 90’s Cat 227 (feller buncher) converted to an excavator. Apparently has a D7 UC. The chain links appear to be Berco CR5490 and 5491.

I have a line on a parts machine with double grousers tracks. The entire UC is in excellent condition. I can get it for less than scrap value. Along with the UC I’d be salvaging lots of other parts before sending it for scrap. The upgrade to double grousers over my singles is tempting. Less wear and tear and a little more gentle on the ground. This is a homestead machine.

IMG_9217.jpeg
IMG_9219.jpeg
IMG_9222.jpeg
IMG_9225.jpeg

Aside from the obvious damage (smashed chain link and some flattened upper rollers) the overall condition doesn’t seem too bad to me, but then again steel tracked equipment was never my specialty.

JMR-TBAY

And another question. I can’t seem to find any sort of master link. I found multiple pins with dimples, but no obvious pin held in by a cotter pin or similar.

IMG_9226.jpegIMG_9229.jpegIMG_9230.jpeg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
And another question. I can’t seem to find any sort of master link. I found multiple pins with dimples, but no obvious pin held in by a cotter pin or similar.
If it's a dozer chain, and it certainly looks like one, it will not have a master pin secured with a cotter pin. I'm not sure how Berco identify their dozer chain master link pin.
What’s the biggest indicator? The mushrooming and becoming pointy?
Both TBH. Imagine that the curve between any two teeth on the sprocket will be a perfect semi-circle when it is new, then compare it to the elongated "U" shape in your photos.