• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how to remove master level cyl from jlg 40h

Not Mechanic

I'm having problems or don't know how to remove the bottom of my master level cylinder on my 2000 JLG 40H. Has anyone done this before and can give me some help. Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The master leveling cylinder for the platform located at the base of the boom? It's been a while since I've worked on one of those machines so I can't recall the configuration, but I'm thinking you should be able to remove the master cylinder with the boom fully up. Boom up all the way then tip the platform fully down using the ground control station. Once that's done, shut down engine, then power up the ignition at ground control station but don't start engine. Click the rocker switch for platform level in both directions, this should purge any remaining pressure on the lines connected to the leveling cylinder so you can disconnect them without taking a hydraulic bath

Not Mechanic

Willie59, thanks for the advice ill definitely try what you recommended. The master level cylinder is located at the base of the boom. There are two cylinders there. The larger lift cylinder & this smaller master level cylinder. One of my main problems is disconnecting the bottom of the cylinder. I removed 2 x 1 inch screws one on each side of the bottom but didnt do anything to loosen the bottom. According to the JLG parts diagram, these 2 x 1 inch screws screw into bushings and there seems to be a rod running through the bushing. Any idea on how to break that section down to remove cylinder? Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Just wanted to make sure we were discussing the same cylinder. There were two options on that pin, prior to 1989 it was retained by cotter pin (29), 1989 up the pin was retained by two 3/8 bolts with washers on each side (25, 26, 28), sounds like you have the latter. If you removed the two 3/8 retainer bolts and the pin won't move then it's likely stuck like chuck, rust, God's LockTite. If that's the case about the only way to get it loose, short of drilling the pin out, is heat from a gas axe, and yes, PITA in that location.

JLG 40H leveling master cylinder.png

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Your only other choice, and without being around the machine I can't say it will work, but with boom all the way up, pull top (rod end) pin on master cylinder, lean cylinder forward and pull the guts out of the cylinder with the bottom pin still attaching the barrel of the cylinder to the machine

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You'll have to disconnect the hoses before the cylinder will come apart, and I recommend using proper plugs to plug off the disconnected hoses. Most likely a JIC #4 or #6 if I were to guess