• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to prime Case 580K....

rdavison39

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, self employed
Just to update everyone - went up last weekend and followed Arlman's directions and she started up and ran fine. Thanks everyone for their posts. Now onto to the next problem which is wrt hydraulic fluid level but i'll start another thread for that one

DoesItAll

Here ya go Ron,
There is a lever at the lift/priming pump. If the lever feels like it is doing nothing, you will need to give the engine a short little kick with the starter as it may be 'on cam'. Loosen primer #1(10mm req) - Use the priming lever at the pump, this fills the filters, when no air is left, close screw & move to #2.(8mm req) With ign ON prime till no air & close screw.
Next move to injectors, (17mm req) loosen the pipes & crank engine till fuel is squirting. Close injector pipes & now start engine.

NOTE - this model is supposed to have an inline filter between the lift pump & fuel tank. It is usually located under the machine alongside the chassis/ frame. These often give trouble & will cause fuel starvation problems - best to replace & not eliminate them.

I don't think it can be explained simpler than this, but if you have anymore questions, we are here to help as we have nothing better to do ATM ...
..... I gotta get a life.....:rolleyes: :drinkup

Hi, I'm new to diesels and the Case 580K in particular. The one I work on would not start (bad batteries/starter) and after a fuel filter/water seperator change.
I went nuts until I saw your post. Bled the system, and she purrs like a kitten. Many thanks.