• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to load a small dozer onto a semi flatbed trailer?

paulinkansas

New guy here, and I'm a new guy when it comes to transporting equipment. Bought a Mitsubishi BD2G, it weighs around 8000 lbs. It's located about 400 miles from where it needs to be (where I live). My son in law has a semi and is going to borrow a flatbed to get the dozer here.

The dozer is at a private individuals house. There is no loading dock. The floor of the trailer is 4 feet above the ground. Short of building an earthen ramp at the guys house, is there any reasonably simple way to load the dozer onto the trailer? Thanks.

excavatorware

The easiest way is to hire a local trucker-with a tilt bed tow truck. Get the dozer on the tilt bed, then back up to your son's trailer. The difference in the bed heights should not be to difficult to work around.

Have the tow truck give you his bed height-should be around 42".

JDOFMEMI

As stated, a towing company with a roll back truck can handle it. It will probably cost an hour or maybe 2 at their going rate, but it will be done safely and with no drama.

Shenandoah

I like the tow truck idea. I had a very similar situation, albeit with a much smaller weight being loaded onto one of my trailers and a local tow company 3 miles away from the loading location just needed $135.00 to do the job. If they can handle it, it's pure gravy for them.

blowerman

tow truck is the safest, but you could use 6" X 6" or larger cribbing timbers and ramp (stack) it up.

PepeLp

A pick-up sized flatbed with a dovetail ramp should work. It's only 8,000 pounds, even a lighter trailer can handle 14,000.

lowbed driver

I haul 8000+ lbs on our single axle tilt bed truck all the time. Actually use it to move manlifts and forklifts close to 12,000. Sure is the safest way for sure,as stated who needs the drama. LB

TomA

Don't even think about going up ramps. Even a light little dozer like that can kill you if it lands on top of you.

pf/l

Occupation
Farmer/logger/heavy equipment op.
Unless there's a nice ditch that you can back into the tow truck company sounds like the ticket.

Ryan

Lindsey97

does the trailer have airbag suspension? if it does dump the bags for less height. i would call a towing company with a rollback as others have said. you could easily spend $135 building ramps from lumber.

RNI Excavate

For the cost of hiring a tow truck or building ramps, plus fuel cost for the semi, you are going to spend quite a bit. Might as well just hire a hot shot hauler who has a trailer with a dovetail and ramps to bring it to you for about the same expense, and you don't have to mess with it.

Scrub Puller

Yeah . . . That's interesting RNI Excavate.

For the cost of hiring a tow truck or building ramps, plus fuel cost for the semi, you are going to spend quite a bit. Might as well just hire a hot shot hauler who has a trailer with a dovetail and ramps to bring it to you for about the same expense, and you don't have to mess with it.

What sort of rates can you get in the 'States for an 800 mile trip?

Cheers.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
hum for that size dozer first put a forklift on the trailer via a loading dock, then use the forklift to pickup and carry the dozer onto the trailer... and carry both home. Actually I'd probably go find a 12k skidloader trailer and go get it with my pickup, and if that wasn't possible schedule a roll back to pick it up and then transfer it to the semi flatbed, has anyone thought how they are getting the dozer off the trailer?

ttazzman

hum for that size dozer first put a forklift on the trailer via a loading dock, then use the forklift to pickup and carry the dozer onto the trailer... and carry both home. Actually I'd probably go find a 12k skidloader trailer and go get it with my pickup, and if that wasn't possible schedule a roll back to pick it up and then transfer it to the semi flatbed, has anyone thought how they are getting the dozer off the trailer?

im just curious......how is it you get the forklift off and back on the trailer after you use it to put the dozer on the trailer at the load site?....other than that i would just rent the appropriate trailer and go from there......or hire a lift or crane to load it for me onsite.....