• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to Lengthen your Stick

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Our boom extension is handy for working over an electricity distribution sub-station. The jib seen here with the extension bar gives the KX 161-3 a bit over 24 feet of reach handling 540lb blocks.

The alternative is to try and use a much small mini-excavator and run around on the clients paving.

A word of warning though, all that extra length is dangerous near overhead power lines. We don't use the extension bar much but the 4 foot quick attach jib makes block work much safer. I read about a bucket "falling off" an excavator and injuring a worker so I never lay blocks or do any lifting work with the bucket on anymore...even just for the visibility.

Another cautionary word (of course) is that this type of attachment is unlikely to meet with the manufacturer's approval and may be subject to statutory regulation in your state if somebody decides its a crane not an excavator.

Just a matter of common sense really.

Attachments

• 140905 001.jpg
    140905 001.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,709
  • 140905 004.jpg
    140905 004.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,692
  • 140905 012.jpg
    140905 012.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,685

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
Noticed that in the third pix, sems like you're lifting and you don't have theblade down. I'd think that would be a bit bouncy. Any reason, or just what worked at the time?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
littledenny said:
Noticed that in the third pix, sems like you're lifting and you don't have theblade down. I'd think that would be a bit bouncy. Any reason, or just what worked at the time?

He probably just moved forward at the time to reach the last couple of blocks. Its not bouncy. I can apply my 210lbs to the hook as well without causing any significant bounce although I always advise my operators to keep the blade down.