• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to Keep Dig Bucket Clear

Allan M

Occupation
Semi-retired: Strategic planner/author
Hi all: Haven't communicated in a while. Digging the other day in mixed soil (rocky serpentine, clay and broken limbs/compost). Wound up getting my bucket so jammed with soil, rocks, debris that I had to use a digging bar for 15 minutes to finally clear it. This is an 18" dig bucket on my U55 Kubota (12.5k lb) machine. I haven't run into this before and have used the machine for about 800 hours. When working with hot asphalt I have always used diesel fuel to prevent sticking on my tractor loader and hand tools...but don't think this is practical when digging with my excavator. Would appreciate any input and wisdom on this topic. Thx. A

skyking1

You must use the 18"? I know you have a wider dig bucket.
The trick is to get it clean, and then don't try to dig heaping buckets. I know that sounds counterproductive, but when you stuff the already full bucket into the bank for that last little bit the damage is done. You done wedged it. Think about the forces at play.

motionclone

I had a mucky clay area i was digging out and ran into this problem. I had a bunch of rootballs with stumps around so i scraped the inside of the bucket against the stump. Cleaned out 80% about.

Allan M

Occupation
You must use the 18"? I know you have a wider dig bucket.
The trick is to get it clean, and then don't try to dig heaping buckets. I know that sounds counterproductive, but when you stuff the already full bucket into the bank for that last little bit the damage is done. You done wedged it. Think about the forces at play.
I've been using the 18" lately for in-close work (near the main house on the property) and removing 20" diameter oak trees. This smaller bucket cuts these big oak roots like butter. I have done most of my road work (cut about 1/2 mile of new road on this property), some areas rocky, with my 2' bucket. Since my property is generally rocky and hilly I haven't had much use for the 3' bucket. I've found this a bit too much weight out on the stick doing road work in these hilly areas...kinda' a pucker factor at times because I feel tippy. Thanks for the input.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I'm only a casual user, but we have allot of clay around here, and I try to dig with the teeth more (bucket
pointed down more in the hole) so the material breaks up and flows into the bucket, and not jamming
against the cut face (the end of your cut) so much at the end of the trench.
if that explains it maybe.

Allan M

Occupation
I had a mucky clay area i was digging out and ran into this problem. I had a bunch of rootballs with stumps around so i scraped the inside of the bucket against the stump. Cleaned out 80% about.

I'm only a casual user, but we have allot of clay around here, and I try to dig with the teeth more (bucket
pointed down more in the hole) so the material breaks up and flows into the bucket, and not jamming
against the cut face (the end of your cut) so much at the end of the trench.
if that explains it maybe.
Makes sense. I think I need to pay more attention to the physics of digging! I'm sure I also set myself up for trouble while I was working a larger area 12'x25' getting it ready for new trees taking large deep scoops of soil trying to break the ground up. As Skyking1 noted I was probably just jamming too much material into the bucket too fast--setting myself up for a problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

MG84

As mentioned above, you're packing the bucket too full. Sticky material/narrow bucket you have to dig gently and watch how full you are getting the bucket. Once it's full stop before cramming more in.

skyking1

no not even. That stuff is evil.
I dug some test pits for the engineer at our new place. It has a pretty good jag of clay in it and the 18" needed a little cleaning.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I haven't tried it but have heard of putting a tire chain in the bucket. Chains at one end attach to the cutting edge or the side cutters. Chains on the other end attach to the dipper stick.
While scooping the chain lays inside the bucket. As you roll out to dump the chain pulls out tight to eject the spoils.

Wider bucket will also help.

keif

I really like the Scandinavian style buckets will more toe and less sidewall.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I haven't tried it but have heard of putting a tire chain in the bucket. Chains at one end attach to the cutting edge or the side cutters. Chains on the other end attach to the dipper stick.
While scooping the chain lays inside the bucket. As you roll out to dump the chain pulls out tight to eject the spoils.

Wider bucket will also help.

Willie beat me too it. That was going to be my suggestion as well.

I've seen chains in buckets all the way up to 385 sized machines. Those chains were just welded to the upper part of the rear bucket and hung down.

Allan M

Occupation
I feel a little less stupid now that I know others have experienced this issue too. A constant learning curve. I think you guys would be proud of me though watching me take down a 20" oak tree with this 12.5k machine. I've learned a lot here on this site over the last few years and have put it to good use! Thanks for all the input and coaching. I am paying attention to the wisdom being passed on to me.

BluewaterLa

Occupation
Field Service Tech / Semi retired
I feel a little less stupid now that I know others have experienced this issue too. A constant learning curve. I think you guys would be proud of me though watching me take down a 20" oak tree with this 12.5k machine. I've learned a lot here on this site over the last few years and have put it to good use! Thanks for all the input and coaching. I am paying attention to the wisdom being passed on to me.

Not alone, just learned me something new. Had this issue with my mini ex with soggy clay down here while digging out old pine stumps. Flat wore me out digging the bucket.
Got some chain laying around that would be great for welding into the bucket for next time I have to play with this sticky hell slop