• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

//// How to Depower a 2000 T 444E engine /////

Andyinchville

Occupation
Lawn Maintenance / Property Development
Hi All,

Most drivers who are not owner operators are somewhat hard on equipment / trucks.

I have stressed to drivers the need to idle an engine after an initial start for at least 15 seconds to allow oil pressure to build and stabilize and to drive conservatively for the first 5 or so miles until things warm up a bit BUT much to my disapointment many drivers hop in, fire up and pull off fairly hard soon as they fire the engine up....THIS is hard on things in general (engine / trans etc...).

Given that, I would like to lessen the power of my T 444E engine.

How could I go about doing that without adversely affecting MPG's and efficiency ?

FWIW then engine is in a 2000 International 4700 Box truck with Allison Auto.

Since this is an electronic engine is there any programming trickery that could be used to FORCE a slow acceleration curve despite drivers abruptly applying throttle rapidly ?

Is there programming that can be done to keep an engine at idle for at least 10 to 15 seconds following an initial start up?

Short of yelling at drivers and threatening firing them if they drive hard, what else can be done (yes, I know you can try to find conservative drivers BUT the guys I have are reliable etc....They just drive too hard).

The simplest thing I thought about doing was putting a block of wood under the accelerator pedal to limit max throttle BUT that still doesn't help the rapid pushing of the pedal to the block of wood itself....I just want more gradual accelerations to help keep the tranny alive.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The nice thing about the 7.3 is that it will not run without sufficient oil pressure. It relies on oil pressure to fire the injectors.
You also have it in front of an Allison. The computer correlation won't allow your driver's to "lug" the engine badly.
In regards to your idle shutdown. You could swap out your engine run relay with a timer relay . That said , you'd have to implement some sort of e-stop. In case things go sideways, your driver has to have the opportunity to shut it down NOW.
Hope this helps.