1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

How to be sure turbo is working correctly?

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by csthompson12, Oct 17, 2020 at 2:15 PM.

1. csthompson12

csthompson12 Well-Known Member

I have a 2006 JCB with a 1000 series Perkins turbo diesel. I can’t seem to detect any turbo whistle or whine under load like I can with other machines. I did take the boot off the intake side and and spin it by hand and it does seem to spin fairly easily. I’m just used to hearing in other machines - trucks, grader, other backhoe etc..

skata likes this.
  2. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

You can measure the boost pressure at full load. Not sure if you'll find a spec for that model, but it will show it's working if you get even 5 PSI. Engine needs fuel and load to produce boost though, just because it's low, doesn't mean the turbo is bad.

3. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

If your turbo isn't working, you'll get black smoke out the exhaust

Tinkerer and oarwhat like this.
  4. skata

skata Senior Member

I had a jcb telehandler with the same engine and had the same thought once. Even checked the turbo like you did. Came to conclusion it was normal. Only other thing you could check is the wastegate on the turbo. If it's stuck open, then it won't build boost.

5. stinky64

stinky64 Well-Known Member

big truck wrench/fixer of things
    If its got an air cooler in between the turbo and intake,may be leak in cooler,hole in boot,loose or broken clamp....try spray bottle w/soapy water,bubbles never lie.........

6. stinky64

stinky64 Well-Known Member

big truck wrench/fixer of things
    Sheep do..........

DMiller likes this.
  7. skata

skata Senior Member

I don't think those engines have a air cooler.

DMiller likes this.
  8. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Well, are you having a problem, or are you just concerned that you can't hear a whistle?

9. csthompson12

csthompson12 Well-Known Member

No, it runs good. There is a small amount of black smoke if you step on or the hydraulics load down, but that seems normal. Just couldn’t detect any sound like in other machines we have..

10. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Your turbo is working.

Delmer likes this.