• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How steep with a vib roller?

lgammon

most of the work we do doesn't require a compactor. we build a pad the other day and the contractor had a cp433 there so i hoped on while dad was grading and rolled a bit. there was a pretty steep bank 3-1 or 2-1 and i was driving up and down it. my question is how steep can you go left to right in a slope? i understand that it is safer up and down but as i was rolling the pad as i got off the edge a bit the owner was giving me some scared looks and i felt that is was holding great.

Komatsu 150

Apparently they roll pretty easy even though they look like the center of gravity is low. One of my guys rolled one on its side on a slope of maybe 4 to 1 after dropping off the edge of the lot we were doing. Just a little double drum roller.

Drtdigger4

Occupation
Mechanic, operator
They roll on the side pretty easy. I wouldn't be Rollin a 2-1 slop. 3-1 maybe but anything more up and down is the safest way
They roll especially easy if they got a low tire. I flopped one over in the shop parking lot on a slight slop. And the tire was only 5 lbs low So just be careful on the steeper slopes lol

MHarryE

Occupation
Retired Engineer, now a farmer
A 815 is a lot wider than a CP-433 and has heavy steel drums on all 4 corners giving it a low CG. It can handle a lot steeper side slope than a 433.