• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How profitable are scrapers ?

Someguy

Excuse my ignorance, but how profitable are scrapers ? What sort of rate do they work for and what does it cost to run them ? How much work is there around for them, with things slowing down ?

Is it more cost effective to run 2 or 3 machines rather than one ?

Thanks !

JDOFMEMI

Your question is pretty generic.

What rate? Well, are you asking about a 613 paddlewheel, a 657 push pull, a Cat and can, a tractor and pull pan or 2 or 3, or another of the 2 dozen types in between? It is probably somewhere between $100 and $500 per hour

What does it cost to run them? Well, first see above, then add what the conditions are. Are you stripping topsoil, or are 3 D-10's pushing open bowls through shot rock?

How much work is there? Well, it depends on wher you are, and what you local market is for them. You give people very little to go on with your questions.

2 or 3 machines rather than one? Well, what are you doing? A small site doing finish grade might need 1 613 for finish grade, or a million yard subdivision may require 20 or more to be effecient.
Other than finish grading, costs almost always go down when you add more scrapers.

Now the first question, How profitable are scrapers? Well, that part is entirely up to you. You control what the rate is that you work for, by bidding or setting hourly rates, You control the operating costs by the quality of the maintenance, you can chose the conditions. Don't like rock, don't move any, or charge enough to cover the repairs.

One thing I will say about scrapers is this. If you do not have a history of working around them to know the ins and outs, you will almost certainly lose money with them, unless you are very lucky.
I have seen similar scrapers, working on similar jobs, have one fleet run steady, and cost around $50 per hr in repair costs, while the other fleet run haphazardly, not get near as much production, and run arount $150 per hour, because of a lack of knowledge, leading to poor maintenance, poor operating procedures, and pretty soon some beat up scrapers.

Someguy

Your question is pretty generic.

Yeah, it is. Its an interesting topic. I'd like to hear a wide range of views.

What rate? Well, are you asking about a 613 paddlewheel, a 657 push pull, a Cat and can, a tractor and pull pan or 2 or 3, or another of the 2 dozen types in between? It is probably somewhere between $100 and $500 per hour

I agree there is a wide range. Lots to talk about here.

Does a TS14 charge out at the same rate a 627 does ? How much should a TS24 charge out at ?

How does one rate the pull pans ? Assuming a 4-500HP tractor and 2 14-18 yard pans. Same as a 627 ? They produce just as much on short hauls or in wet conditions ? Less or more ?

Anyone have a rule of thumb ?

What does it cost to run them? Well, first see above, then add what the conditions are. Are you stripping topsoil, or are 3 D-10's pushing open bowls through shot rock?

Comments on all those conditions would be interesting. I think the most typical is moving dry clay a mile or so in a subdivision type setting.

What do people allow per hour or per yard moved for things like engines, transmissions, tires, cutting edges, general maintenance, etc ? How do they handle fuel price changes ?

2 or 3 machines rather than one? Well, what are you doing? A small site doing finish grade might need 1 613 for finish grade, or a million yard subdivision may require 20 or more to be effecient.

I was thinking more of the self loading part of things. 2 scrapers load better than 1 self loaded.

Now the first question, How profitable are scrapers? Well, that part is entirely up to you. You control what the rate is that you work for, by bidding or setting hourly rates, You control the operating costs by the quality of the maintenance, you can chose the conditions. Don't like rock, don't move any, or charge enough to cover the repairs.

Of course its up to the owner to run them or not. But what the scrapers will command depends on competition in the local market. As we've seen in other threads, the backhoe segment has a lot of owner operators that are looking at a backhoe was a job replacement situation. They don't seem to make a lot of money over and above what they were if they were an operator. Do you find scrapers to be like that or does their rate reflect a higher profit motive ?

One thing I will say about scrapers is this. If you do not have a history of working around them to know the ins and outs, you will almost certainly lose money with them, unless you are very lucky.

So in your mind the profit margin is slim unless you have a lot of experience with them and can outperform other contractors ?

Care to share some of your numbers and experience ?

I have seen similar scrapers, working on similar jobs, have one fleet run steady, and cost around $50 per hr in repair costs

Per scraper operating hour ?

while the other fleet run haphazardly, not get near as much production, and run arount $150 per hour, because of a lack of knowledge, leading to poor maintenance, poor operating procedures, and pretty soon some beat up scrapers.

Specifically, what was the first fleet doing that the second one wasn't ?

I'm seeing numbers like 627s getting $250/hour. They will burn 25 gallons per hour x $3 a gallon = $75 an hour for fuel. The operator will cost $25/hour. That leaves $150/hour for everything else, including profit.

The depreciation on a newer 627 seems to be really high. On the other hand, used 627s abound for $50-$100K, but their repair costs will be higher and they might not charge out at the same rate.

So what do people allocate for depreciation, maintenance, repairs and profit when running a scraper ? If not done correctly, that $150/hour will get eaten very fast !

Last edited:

Jim Irwin

In Australia, in 2007 one of my competitors was running a 623G for $265 AUD per hour. At 10 cycles per hour say, thats 10 x 17 cubic metres, works out at $1.55 per cubic metre.

Its all about cycle times. Sometimes jobs are profitable, sometimes not.
Thats also why, most people dont run scrapers, theyre a money pit too.

Jim

DPete

As far as I'm concerned the real money in scrapers is not hourly work but in well excuted contracts. First you have to get the job at a price you can turn a profit, typically the bigger the scraper the lower the unit cost (per yard). I like a well balanced job, if the fill is to be compacted and tested you really can't haul more dirt than you can water and compact. If it's just bulk material going to a stockpile then the more scrapers can be added. Operating costs depend alot on the material, I like to stay in the dirt where I can work at minimum cost. Haul roads are very important the smoother and harder the better, I've been on jobs where the ground is pumping, that slows the job down, is harder on equipment and operators and uses more fuel. Maintance is the key, we grease every day and keep current on oil changes. Neglect is just another form of abuse. Keeping the cut ripped is also important so the scrapers can get loaded and leave instead of fighting to get a load.

Someguy

As far as I'm concerned the real money in scrapers is not hourly work but in well excuted contracts.

I can see that.

First you have to get the job at a price you can turn a profit, typically the bigger the scraper the lower the unit cost (per yard). I like a well balanced job, if the fill is to be compacted and tested you really can't haul more dirt than you can water and compact.

So how do you size your compaction equipment relative to your scrapers ?

How do you handle compaction with dirt that is too wet to compact properly ?

If it's just bulk material going to a stockpile then the more scrapers can be added. Operating costs depend alot on the material, I like to stay in the dirt where I can work at minimum cost.

So do you avoid jobs with difficult conditions ? Or do you just bid them with a larger profit ?

Haul roads are very important the smoother and harder the better, I've been on jobs where the ground is pumping, that slows the job down, is harder on equipment and operators and uses more fuel. Maintance is the key, we grease every day and keep current on oil changes. Neglect is just another form of abuse.

So what do you think your maintenance costs are per hour of scraper time ?

Keeping the cut ripped is also important so the scrapers can get loaded and leave instead of fighting to get a load.

Would you rather have a cat ripping or a cat pushing ? Or do you do both ?

Thanks for your reply.

DPete

Someguy, you need to change your name to "Most Inquisitive" Gather yourself some equipment and take a few jobs you'll learn quickly what to do and what not to do

Someguy

Someguy, you need to change your name to "Most Inquisitive" Gather yourself some equipment and take a few jobs you'll learn quickly what to do and what not to do

:laughs:

There is a lot of experience on this board. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I take the plunge.

JDOFMEMI

:exactly

Pete

I was thinking the same thing. I do not mind sharing information at all, but I think he is looking for a college course on dirtmoving.
I've got 20 years at the school of hard knocks, and not even close to satisfied with what I know yet. Some of this stuff you just can't get till you try it.

Someguy:

I reccomend you pick up a copy of "Moving the Earth" by Harold Nichols.
It is an old book, and the illustrations show a lot of old iron, but in a way it is better to learn that way, because the older generation did not have all the custom toys to get it done, so they had to work smarter with what they had. I know I learn a lot every time I thumb through it.
It answers a lot of the questions you are asking.

As far as figuring costs, the "Caterpillar Performance Handbook" has a lot of detail of how to figure owning and operating costs of machines.

You can probably get both on E-bay, thats where I found my copies.

Best of luck

Haul-Pak

Scraper's are Non Production machine's here. They are used for spreading crushed rock on the haul road's.

They only cost money. They might save the company money in the long run tho.

$maker

Occupation
Stewart Construction Services/Owner
scrapers

were are you working scrapers sounds like haul roads for the energy sector?????

Gavin84w

Like anywhere big dirt jobs were, the scraper was king down here in the 60.s, 70.s & 80.s

It died off and the knowledge base has dwindled, very few contractors stuck with them but at the end of the day in the right conditions nothing will come close to moving the dirt for the lowest cost.

People are now realising the wiggle truck has a fairly high operating cost with it, the only plus is you do not need a skilled operator like a scoop does. Cat are reinventing and promoting the scraper again and have developed a simulator to train operators, you just have to do it in this day and age. They are also looking for big improvements in ride.

Today in Au the scraper is doing very well with a lot of them around, the more the better

Haul-Pak

were are you working scrapers sounds like haul roads for the energy sector?????

Mining.

Today in Au the scraper is doing very well with a lot of them around, the more the better

Come on GAV .... 3 year of sleepless night's .. Now there's more of the dam thing's :Banghead :pointhead :D

Gavin84w

There is no doubt you have to love the things or leave em (scrapers i am talking!!) but again they are just nuts and bolts and you get on with fixing them. All you dump truck guys are just so spoiled, lift the body and everything nearly jumps out at you-any one can do that stuff!!

And same for the operation of each machine, not much skill in a dump truck and fun on the job?? scrapers any day!! Also the dirt is always moving with a scraper during all portions of the haul cycle as opposed to the dump trucks and on an excitement scale i would take a fleet of 51,s and 10,s/11,s over 500 ton diggers and 240 ton trucks any day!!

Sounds like you need to get to California too Haul Pak for a dose!!