• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how old are you?

how old are you?

• under 20

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • under 30

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • under 40

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • under 50

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • under 60

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • under 70

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • under 80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80 and older

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • none of your bussiness

• old enuff to know better young enuff to still act stupid

• Total voters

tylermckee

I'm 19 and i have had plenty of problems with people older than me disregarding what i tell them and telling me how it needs to be done when they dont know what they are doing in the first place. Just the way things are i guess. Its a bit of a bitch when i have a couple guys im supposed to be leading and and they figure that they are older so they dont need to listen.

Jeff D.

Hello Tyler.If your 19,and already in a career that you really enjoy,then you've a headstart over most people that age.That's definately a bonus for you.

If I could play Devil's Advocate for a second though,I'd try and keep as open a mind as possible regarding the tensions with the older workers.You mentioned you know your right,but I bet they feel the same way.

It would be similiar to you having a 10 year old boss,and both of you "knew" you were right about something,but you had to do it his way because "He" was the boss.Imagine how that would make you feel,having to take orders from a 10 year old kid?

Regardless,the boss is THE boss,so if that's you,then they'll have to do it your way,since your responsible for the outcome.But being a good boss(or leader) is going to require tactfullness and consideration when dealing with situations like that too!!

I use to have a saying that I loved to say to my boss years ago:"If your the "Boss",and I'm "Nothing",then doesn't that make you the boss of nothing?"

We,re ALL learning everyday. ;)
Good Luck!!

tylermckee

Jeff D. said:
Hello Tyler.If your 19,and already in a career that you really enjoy,then you've a headstart over most people that age.That's definately a bonus for you.

If I could play Devil's Advocate for a second though,I'd try and keep as open a mind as possible regarding the tensions with the older workers.You mentioned you know your right,but I bet they feel the same way.

It would be similiar to you having a 10 year old boss,and both of you "knew" you were right about something,but you had to do it his way because "He" was the boss.Imagine how that would make you feel,having to take orders from a 10 year old kid?

Regardless,the boss is THE boss,so if that's you,then they'll have to do it your way,since your responsible for the outcome.But being a good boss(or leader) is going to require tactfullness and consideration when dealing with situations like that too!!

I use to have a saying that I loved to say to my boss years ago:"If your the "Boss",and I'm "Nothing",then doesn't that make you the boss of nothing?"

We,re ALL learning everyday. ;)
Good Luck!!
Its usually just with hired on laborers that just show up and do as little as possible just to get their paycheck. like glsahl if i dont know something i'll listen or ask someone, but if i know i'll argue. I keep an open mind and listen to what someone else has to say, like you say we all are still learning

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
This has been one of the hardest things for me at work. I grew up on a farm, and my dad is a self-employed residential builder. My dad raised me to take over his business. As soon as I was 16 I started running allot of jobs for him, so he could bid jobs, do office work, ect. Most of the guys (subs) we worked with I grew up with so there wasn't any problems, but every once and a while there was a new guy. That just though I was given my company truck and didn't earn it. Well I decided building wasn't for me I wanted to play in the dirt. And that wasn't a change I wasn't ready for. I knew how to run equipment we had an old dozer on the farm and most of the digging that my dad had done was by me I also did all of our neighbor’s dozer work. So right of the bat at 18 I got my CDL and got a job at a large utility company as an operator in "training". I got a lot of seat time had a good foremen taught me a lot. But that changed and I left for a new job and not on very good terms. Seven companies and 4 states later 2 of the last 3 companies I've work for I was a "foremen" and it still the same fight. I don't even want this job I just want to sit in my machine and play in the dirt.

bigHD

I'm 16. I'm planning on going into the construction field
(hopefully my own business) after I finish school. Right now, I'm just trying to gather information and try to learn something from guys that have experience in the field. I'm over at Let's Talk Snow.com too, and let me tell you, I don't post a lot over there but I've learned so much from reading what those guys have to say. Same with you guys here. I've learned everything from the business aspect to technical stuff. I just cant' wait to apply it!

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'm 19, doing the college thing right now. Started lawn maintenance at 13 then my dad started the landscaping side of things when I was 16 so I have 3 1/2 years of equipment operation experience. "Home" is 160 miles away and that's where the work is, so now that I'm in college there's no "fun" work until summer, really a bummer. I'm stuck at a restaurant during the school year, very lame.

After school I'm shooting to get into excavation, maybe run the landscaping biz for a while and then slowly blur the lines between the two. 20 year plan is to do development work, we'll see how far I go. There's only 1 or 2 companies within a 60 mile radius capable of doing a residential or commercial subdivision. I know it's a long shot, but I'd like to compete in that field some day. Give 'em hell and keep the guns blazin' :guns

rino1494

I am 24 and I was born on a machine. My dad has his own business and I plan to take it over when he retires. I went to college and got a 4 yr degree in criminal justice but realized that I am making more money now. Everyone tells me that I am dumb because this business is hard work and involves alot of time. Thing is, I love it and can't see myself doing anything else.

hillrancher

Occupation
owner
how old are you

I got into business by working part time on weekends and after work. This is a very hard way to go into business. I am 66 now and have an son that works with me, but does not want to take over the business. Takes orders every day like the rest of the hands. If you retire would not have a reason to work on rainy,snowy days, birthdays,not go on vacation and would be doing the same every day. Retiring just doen't sound good to me.
Working your own business you learn a lot and make mistakes also that are your own.
I enjoy digging in the dirt ( rock most of the time) I would not have worked for a company as long as I have for my self.
Just to let you younger guys it addictive an may have a cure.

puredieselpower

Occupation
I build Pole Buildings
Im 25 been around construction all my life. Father started his own home building buisness and i grew up in it. I always loved it when the subs with equipment came to do work. So when i was 12 i went to work on a fish farm part time and just jumped on the tractors and taught myself to run them. Helped another buddy on his farm and he had a bobcat, learned as much as could at both farms. Then decided 2 years ago to start building pole sheds on my own. So here i am 25 running my own small buisness trying to save up to buy my next piece of equipment, versa lift, or cherry-picker.

We all have something to learn from each other no matter what our age.:thumbsup

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
18 baby!:yup --going into new home construction, transferring into commercial construction and demo. im in land clearing and farming now.