• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much movement

onehandman1

Good evening everyone,

I put new bushings in onon the swing arm(where the arm meets the tractor). I have a Case 580 Super M series 2, my question is how much up and down movement should I have between the swing arm and the tractor itself. I know there are shims, but I have 1/4-1/2 inch up and down. Seems excessive simply because When you grease it, grease won't make it to the bottom bushing.

Thanks!

Paul

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Tinkerer, I was thinking onehandman meant the swing post. Back when I was working on Ford 555's, we shimmed them...not too tight though. We aimed for snug but not binding, if I remember correctly.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Tinkerer, you are correct, it was confusing...maybe I am wrong...hopefully onehandman will stop by and clarify. If it is the swing post that he meant, I do see shims in the drawing you supplied. I would think it would be easy to add shims as necessary to snug.

onehandman1

LOL, After I Re-read it, and read your confusion you are correct, I was confusing. I meant the Swing Tower. I Put the shims back how they came. Sorry for the confusion :)

Tinkerer

In regards about the up and down movement--- New shims would be a good thing. Then if one the old ones will slide in I would go that route.
Notice that the top and bottom pins use a different number of shims and they are a different thickness also.
Is the lock washer #19 in place and the two #20 shims there also ? That could effect the greasing problem --maybe.
shims.png

Last edited:

onehandman1

Tinkerer, no shims on the top pin only the bottom. One shim above the thrust washer, and 2 shims below the swing tower.

onehandman1

Tinkerer all my shims and washers went right where I pulled them from! I was a trans tech 7-8 years ago and understand the need for shims and thrust washers. Just haven't worked on a backhoe until this winter. Amazing I can build a transmission in my sleep, but feel like its my first time working on something like this

Tinkerer

It is always possible someone before you, may have changed the shim stack arrangement for an unknown reason. That is why I mentioned that they should be installed just as the parts book shows them.
With the exception that one or more may have been already added to decrease the up and down movement.