• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much can you overload a truck before breaking things?

bdog1234

We have a single axle international 4300 dump truck. Rear axle is 19k front is 10k. It is derated to 25,999 to be non cdl. We don't overload it on the road because we don't want any trouble with the DOT man but we are moving a lot of dirt around on our farm which doesn't involve getting on any public roads. The dump bed will probably hold 9 yds heaped which I figure to be 18k. Truck probably weighs 14k. I am going to break anything loading it to 32k for short 1/2 mile trips on the farm?

Tinkerer

"How much can you overload a truck before breaking things? " It depends on the condition of the truck and how big of a gambler you are. The rear springs would be my concern. I have broken a few leafs by overloading a truck. Next would be the drive line . I twisted a drive-shaft quite easily in soft ground just trying to get the truck moving.

lantraxco

Load it about 7 yards and make one more trip. You don't gain anything by hauling that extra yards if the truck breaks and you can't haul until you get it fixed.

Not overloading makes everything more efficient, especially operating on site for short hauls. I have had this conversation with every dirt contractor I ever ran across and the response without exception has always been "we gotta get production". It's like talking to a cat, comprehension of wear, tear, heat, metal fatigue and fuel burn are simply beyond their capacity to understand. Don't get me started on sideboards either!

:Banghead

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Make sure the tires are max inflated and check your lug nuts regularly.

old1

Occupation
Selfemplyed
Load it about 7 yards and make one more trip. You don't gain anything by hauling that extra yards if the truck breaks and you can't haul until you get it fixed.

Not overloading makes everything more efficient, especially operating on site for short hauls. I have had this conversation with every dirt contractor I ever ran across and the response without exception has always been "we gotta get production". It's like talking to a cat, comprehension of wear, tear, heat, metal fatigue and fuel burn are simply beyond their capacity to understand. Don't get me started on sideboards either!

:Banghead

Great reply:

I always hear people talking about how much their loaders, will lift also. Yep, it will lift that gigantic rock, maybe once or twice; but those lift cylinders are screaming.

Pick-up owner are always bragging how much their trucks will tow; Oh Yea. Broken springs, bent frames, blown tires; and not to mention the reduced braking ability.

I agree with "lantraxco".

You can do it until it breaks, then pay the piper $$$$$

old1

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
There is a magic line; the use and abuse line. It always depends on what side you are on. It's sneaky too because it can move.

lantraxco

You mean to say those nice Ops guys were telling porkies when they said the only reason for the sideboards was to reduce spillage..........?

:lmao

Yeah Nige, you nailed it~!

I sez "you don't need sideboards, the machine will carry a capacity load without them!" Contractor responds "we need sideboards to prevent losing material on the haul roads!" "Yeah right sez I, then why is your operator loading them until material is running off both sides and the tailgate????????"

"WE GOTTA GET PRODUCTION!"

:confused:

Dom

My uncle told me once that my cousin had overloaded a manure spreader and the feeder chain broke. The spreader had to unloaded by shovel so the feeder could be fixed. Ever since that story, I do not overload anything.
The risk for return is simply not worth it.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I would find out what model rear axle is actually in the truck, and its stated capacities for instance some f550s have dana 135s, which means it is rated for 13,500 lbs. I would imagine that some degree of safety is built into that. I know my 55k dump scaled hauling sand at the quarry at 86k. Everything thing was fine till some ripples were hit on a dirt road, seared every lug nut stud on the rear tandem. Also real easy to rip the drive Shafts out...
I know a guy that runs a vacuum truck that removes rocks from flat roofs. He got caught weighting 110k, that was a $14,000 ticket.

I agree to haul less, the down time and parts are not worth the head ache.

Last edited:

Knepptune

I'd haul it without any second thoughts. If my math is correct his truck grosses 29k. 32k is only 10% overloaded. And I'm gonna assume it's fairly smooth dirt road and with only moving it a 1/2 mile. Really your all be gonna be concerned with that. I guarantee its a way harder on that truck to load it to 29k and hit the highway.

If it's muddy or really rough and hilly then I may rethink it. A man with sense and a little smoothness can overloaded equipment everyday and take less life out of it then a hot rod at 70% of capacity.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I'd haul it without any second thoughts. If my math is correct his truck grosses 29k. 32k is only 10% overloaded. And I'm gonna assume it's fairly smooth dirt road and with only moving it a 1/2 mile. Really your all be gonna be concerned with that. I guarantee its a way harder on that truck to load it to 29k and hit the highway.

If it's muddy or really rough and hilly then I may rethink it. A man with sense and a little smoothness can overloaded equipment everyday and take less life out of it then a hot rod at 70% of capacity.

Your probably right but....
I have put 13 tons in my single axle without heaping the load. Truck was just shy of 40,000 lbs at the scales. It is hard to know how much you are putting in a truck unless you get it checked. I run 10 tons constantly in a 26k truck, which weights 12,500 empty. Tires blow when they get hot. But off around the farm he will probably be good as long as he dumps only on a flat surface and stays off of fill while dumping...also watch out for wet dirt ..it weighs more..

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

There are a lot of variables.

If the conditions are good, Ie: smooth road, good ground conditions, not muddy or other poor conditions, you can overload something, drive it slower and easy, and not have too much trouble. Many jobs get ran with a 20% overload.

If there are poor conditions, like rough or muddy roads, steep hills, etc. then a little less than what is rated is good.

It all comes down to using good judgement.

JDOFMEMI

You mean to say those nice Ops guys were telling porkies when they said the only reason for the sideboards was to reduce spillage..........?

Thats what the added extensions on the sideboards are for.:drinkup

bdog1234

Thanks guys. Ran about a half dozen loads today at around 7-8 yards. Truck seems to handle it fine and I don't feel like I am pushing it too much.

lantraxco

And there ya go... if it feels like it's working but not straining, both you and the truck should be happy. :drinkup

ericscher

As a general rule of thumb, you can push pretty much ANYTHING 10% past it's limits without worrying.

That doesn't mean you won't break stuff anyway, it just means that engineers who design things don't rate them at their limits because they know dang well that people push those limits.

Having said that, it's far wiser to stay 10% AWAY from the limits.

TANSTAAFL

(There aint no such thing as a free lunch)

gtermini

This was 64,000 gross hauling wheat on a old, tired, Jimmy 6500 with a 5+2 and juice brakes. The hoist wouldn't lift it and the pressure relief valve was screaming. There's a brick on the accelerator while I ran the forklift because there wasn't anyone around to help. And yes, I did drive it on the highway loaded...

V1A4u3C.jpg

Don't make the mistake of just opening the gate if it's super overloaded, because you'll dump what little counterbalance there is behind the pivot and make it that much harder to lift.

I don't miss farming sometimes. lol

Greyson