• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How Many Trucks?

Copenhagen

I have a customer that is building a new yard. He has a 10 acre lot that he wants covered in with 6" of road base or other suitable structural fill.

I figured about 10,500 CY.

The pit is 14 miles from the job site. How many trucks (either end dump, belly dump or tandem) would you use?

I am going to have my grader and a roller out there to spread everything.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
We did a 4 acre lot in no time with 6 semi's running about the same distance as you are talking. We were using a Loader for spreading and an 8 tonne roller. As long as you have room for 2 or 3 loads to be tipped it should be no problem. Any less trucks than that will be way too slow.

Turbo21835

Lots of variables here. How much does the material weigh per yard? That will decide how much a truck can haul. How much weight can a truck haul legally? Around here most pits wont let the trucks run overweight because there is the possibility of them being liable if the trucks involved in an accident. 14 miles isnt that bad, but whats loading the trucks. How many other trucks are running out of the supplier. The trucks may have to wait in line for a while. I would go 8-10 trucks. Round trip with load out, traffic, should take hour and some change. Knowing trucks they will all show up at the same time. This way they come in, tailgate their loads, and get back on the road. This gives you time to rough the fill in, and compact it. Then you have time to fine tune things before the trucks get back.

Josh

JDOFMEMI

I guess it would depend on the availability of trucks. I do mid size jobs here, and a good rule of thumb is one truck per mile of haul. That will keep you VERY busy, but is the way to makethe most money at it. In my area, we can call a broker and get as many trucks as we want if we give enough notice. I would do it different if I owned trucks, but if you have to hire them anyway, that cuts your loading and spreading time, and you pay the same for 14 trucks for 2 days as you would for 2 trucks for 14 days, but the support equipment gets done in 2 days.
I know, my example of days is off, but it makes the point.

With belly dumps hauling, a blade can knock down as fast as the trucks can bring it, just make sure you get the loadfs spotted right so you don't have to carry material to far.

rino1494

Depends on how closely it needs to be graded. What size grader are you using ?? If you are fine grading, then I say 4-5 tri-axles, if you are rough grading, then 7-8.

Cowboy

I'm an truck owner/operator in central Illinois. As a rule we will have a couple trucks dumping at once and as the day goes on the trucks will spread out due to load times, etc. If you have a fast loader as stated earlier you will not need near as many trucks. If you end up with some of the loaders I deal with you will need MANY trucks...