• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How is work in your area?

GGDOZERINC

I work here in southern louisiana the work here has slowed alot. We are better off than most as many of the companies have gone out of business. We are still picking up small projects that are keeping us steady. The large projects are almost nonexistant and if one does come along guys bid it way to cheap to make any mpney. I was just wonderning how it every else, thanks.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
its not to bad here, but thats due to 2 large housing devlopments, new walmart and a few new condo buildings going up, and a large scale demo of a fun park. but fingers crossed for the comming season

td25c

It's a little slow here,looking forward to some job's lined up in spring&summer.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I mostly work for one home builder. One of their framing contractors has laid his crew off, which is something I don't remember ever happening there before. The owner told me that in addition to several homes that are now under contract, they have a handful of hot prospects, but those are waiting until their present homes sell. It could be a lean summer...

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
We have had our hands smacked :rolleyes: here in the UK for being negative and talking the industry down rather than trumpeting the good points.

So .....................I'M ALRIGHT :p

Things are very slow here, the house building took a very severe knock, well actually it stopped overnight just like a truck hitting a bridge abutment with about the same consequences.
The very fast growth in house building over the past 5 or so years led to a natural build up of subcontractors to service that growth. This included everybody from the plant hire companies supplying from small tools to excavators, dumpers etc to the landscapers, plumbers, sparks and decorators, many small one man or two man operations, thier work died overnight as did the jobs and the credit lines. No money coming in, so problems paying the mortgage and so the spiral turns.
It is now starting to effect the bigger operations that supplied those smaller companies.
There is work out there but as in many parts of the world there are too many people chasing the jobs and also the fear that if you do this job will you get paid. That fear factor is the biggest problem of all in my opinion.

What does annoy me is the headline grabbing news that car sales are down x% DOH! I wonder why that is :beatsme :Banghead Dumbasses!
How the hell are we suppose to be positive and keep upbeat when these dopes keep preaching doom and gloom.
But as stated, I'm ALRIGHT,............................at the moment

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I do commercial masonry work. GC's are now having 32 bid on jobs where there was previously 6. Guys I let go in Sept have just been rehired by me again and they didn't work in between. Things are not good.

CAT955L

Occupation
LAND SURVEYOR
I have a small land surveying firm. things slowed down in the last two months. Everyone i know is call to see if i have any work.

i hope spring and summer will be alot better.