• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How is the John Deere 4024 engine? Reliable?

Dhuff

Pulled the injectors and connecting lines to put new o-rings on injectors and new washers and carbon rings on.
Yes, it was a strong running engine before the head gasket work.

Dhuff

Sorry, missed the rest of the info requested.
Mechanical fuel pump
S/N - PE4024T138709 (4024TF270)

Diesel Dave

Fuel transfer pump sucking air at the water separator filter ? You could splice in a clear fuel line before the block to check for bubbles.
Any chance the Low oil pressure light code is turning off power to the solenoid on the front cover ?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Sometimes those engines can be tough to get the air out of the injection system when they have been opened up. Try pinching off the return line and see if it starts. If it starts shut it off immediately so it does not run with the line pinched. Release the pinch and see if it now starts and runs.

Dhuff

I have been trying the different suggestions and will try the pinching off the return today. But, I have a question regarding the followers.
There are the two that when you compress oil comes out of them, but I just saw a breakdown of the injector (Electrical) sorry think I originally said mechanical. There is a follower below the injector did that one need to be compressed as well? I ask because when I originally took injectors out I left those in and did not remove to compress. Also, the slide pin on the side of the injector is that the "Position the pump so that the electrical connector is oriented to the RH rear of the cylinder."? I ask because the images I have are Rorschach tests at best.
I appreciate all the help; industrial engines are just different enough from light and medium duty to trip me up sometimes.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
There is a follower below the injector did that one need to be compressed as well?
The follower on the injection system is under the "unit pumps", not the injectors. You removed the injectors and the "unit pumps"? The follower under the unit pumps does not need to be compressed.

the slide pin on the side of the injector is that the "Position the pump so that the electrical connector is oriented to the RH rear of the cylinder
what wires? Your serial number indicates a mechanical injection system. The only wires under the rocker arm cover on that engine should be the glow plug wires.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
IIRC an electric lift pump pushing through the mechanical pump should result in fuel flowing through all the galleries and then coming out the return in the back of the head. Eventually it should start right up after that.

Dhuff

IIRC an electric lift pump pushing through the mechanical pump should result in fuel flowing through all the galleries and then coming out the return in the back of the head. Eventually it should start right up after that.
The follower on the injection system is under the "unit pumps", not the injectors. You removed the injectors and the "unit pumps"? The follower under the unit pumps does not need to be compressed.

what wires? Your serial number indicates a mechanical injection system. The only wires under the rocker arm cover on that engine should be the glow plug wires.
Thank you I thought I was losing my mind everyone here and locally are trying to tell me that it is electrical and keep sending me instructions for an electric pump.
No, I never adjusted the pump and put the engine at top dead center on cylinder 1 before starting headgasket work.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I was just saying to temporarily install an electric pump to totally prime the head galleries, then take it out and try and start the engine normally. I changed a unit pump on one of these last year and I am pretty sure that is what I did but I don't remember exactly. There are a lot of passages to pump up and the little mechanical pump is not real good for that.