• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do you think operators should treat equipment?

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Thanks, I got into HE because it was something I loved growing up. I used to go pick rocks for farmers so I could drive the tractors =)

I never had anyone showing me what to do while I was getting started I had to learn everything myself so anytime a kid (big kids too!) asks me about how a machine works I always take the time to talk to them a bit. Heck I'm still learning, a day on a machine isn't a good day unless you pick up something new.

Soldati06

Occupation
U.S Army Heavy Equipment Operator
im currently in the military and i know if we left our equipment looking like some in the pictures ohhhweeee it would be a longgg day/night for all of us haha and you get so much more pride out of having a piece of equipment that is comfortable to sit in all day and won't have any problems while your doing what you love!!

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I looked at my Lull Friday night and then thought of this thread. Even though dead tired at 3:30 I was there till 7:00 pm servicing it basically a grease job. Although tired I felt good on the way home. Monday after work I dump the oil on it.:D

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I tell my guys to take care of the equipment like they are making the payments, and their pay check depends on the equipment being able to make money. It helps with some people putting the care into context that they can relate to, but others don't take care of their own stuff. We have developed a good PM Maintenance program, everyone has gotten on board, sweeping out the floor boards, greasing daily, and cleaning the equipment.

I'm kinda of picky, I don't allow any smoking or chewing while in the trucks or equipment. My allergies won't take the smoke and I have only had I guy that choose to find employment some where else, all in all my people do a pretty good job of not abusing the machines and keeping their work place (office) clean and maintained.

cat345bl

Occupation
Trucking Industry
I'm not I operator but I think its important to keep machines in good shape.

It may also be the companies fault too. I know a union contractor around here,there equipment at sites change almost everday.None of there machines stay at a site for a long periord of time.Wich means operators can abuse them,and leave the next operator at the next site's there promplem.Also they use there equipment for demo,and the next site there on they use this machine and It has concrete dust on it looks just horrible on a urban site.Also there counterwieghts are really scratched too. Some machines they have are in very excellent condition. They keep there trucks nice and clean though Others look like they have 20,000 hours on it. But the company is one of the largest in the area,and they are one the safest too,and they are always buying new equipment. It might also be the naborhood too. Machines around here in philly get grafeddied and vandalized. The contractor has plywood and sheetmetal sheets and they put them over the cab to protect the windows,so they do care about there equipment. If I ever become an operator I will keep my machine imaculate.

Dualie

I tell on my people to treat the equipment like their lively hood depends on it.

Because it does. Especially these days theirs so much good talent around that you shouldn't have any problems filling an operators seat.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I personally can't stand dirty equipment. There is a reason to keep your windows clean: less dirt=less glare. Clean cab=not always tripping over things and blowing dust away to look at the dials and guages. Pride people, pride. Some people have no pride so they enjoy living in a dump.

Hendrik

All part of normal maintenance, the machine gets a bit grubby when you are busy working but when it is time to give it a service, cleaning is part of the job.
I was doing some contract harvesting one day and as part of the service I would blow the machine down with air, the fella I was working for watched me one day and asked why I was being so picky about getting all the crap off the machine and I told him "If there is a fire on board having a dirty machine will burn it to the ground, having it clean means I might be able to save it". There are operators and there are drivers, aim to be an operator.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
peein in a jar ,,,now thats dedication ....but more in line with long-haul trucking not dirt moving ..

Tim Hortons (for you south of the boarder dunkin dounouts) makes an x-large size for a reason :)

I recently got picked up by a local company when i got out of school, the point to this is i followed some of the things that are comman cence and some of the othere sugesstions, i put together a small bag that sits behind the machine's seat containing : windex, clean rags, simply green all pourpose cleaner, paper towels, and a small hand brush and have already been looked upon grealty by the bossman in the long run i hope its worth it.:notworthy

dayexco

flick boogers on the windshield, cough lungers up on the floor, butt your smokes out on the seat, keep your cooler full of trucker bombs, use a philips screwdriver to change radio stations...if you're in an emergency and need some wipe, take your leatherman and cut the cloth off the back side of the seat to use.

olderndirt

Observe how a person keeps his/her equipment: sloppy, filthy workstation usually shows that persons' work quality as well.
Clean and tidy usually shows pride in everything that person does.
Next time a new person shows up on a job, look at their personal vehicle and you will see what kind of a person you have hired!!!!!

TractorAU

Occupation
Construction
I cant stand people that don't look after there machinery properly, Too often i see near new machines filthy dirty with lots of paint scuffed off and bucket pins screaming out for grease. :mad:

I am very fussy keeping my machines spotless inside and out, greased and keeping the paint scratch free that my mates think I'm a little over the top but when its time to upgrade to the latest model i always get a good trade in price.

olderndirt

I was told many years ago that if your equipment is clean and has the appearance of well kept you will usually get work ahead of someone who's equipment is actually newer but looks shabby.

Excavator Nut

Occupation
operator/foreman/laborer
Like its yours, nothing more disgusting than getting into a dirty machine that sqeaks,low on oil, can't even move the seat back cause of all the **** thrown behind the seat by some of our so called shorter operators. Makes the cab smell like the bottom of a garbage can. But they are the ones that are so far up the bosses ass all you can see is two little booties sticking out, and your the one who is struck cleaning up his mess